Tribute to a Generation: A Salute to the Big Bands

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

Tribute to a Generation: A Salute to the Big Bands

#1 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:36 pm

CLICK HERE

I just picked this one up too, again, really great hard swinging stuff recorded by modern bands. I am on a mission to find as much of this kind of shit as possible.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

CafeSavoy

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:32 am

Good cd. i played some of the tracks at dclx. they have another cd but i don't have it yet.

Swifty

#3 Post by Swifty » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:38 am

Amazon.com wrote:Album Description
During World War II the big band music of Benny Goodman, Count Basie, Glenn Miller and others was the soundtrack of life on the home-front. This music also reached the battlefront through recordings and broadcasts—where familiar tunes and bands became a metaphor for the way of life that American soldiers were fighting to preserve. Playing original arrangements, the Smithsonian Jazz Masterwork Orchestra pays tribute to this musical inspiration in the World War II years. This release will be featured prominently at the upcoming WWII Memorial opening ceremonies and festivities on the National Mall in DC Memorial Day weekend! Extensive liner notes, 20+ page booklet, 59 minutes of music, 17 tracks!
I've been eyeing this one, it looked good. What are the liner notes like?
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:40 am

I won't get it in time to use it against Sonovu this weekend but thanks for the link, Mike.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:06 pm

Swifty wrote:
I've been eyeing this one, it looked good. What are the liner notes like?
The liner notes are 32 pages long, full of great information about the original recordings and about the new ones on the cd as well as personell. also, lots of cool pictures from dance halls in the 30s and 40s ive never seen before
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

JSAlmonte

#6 Post by JSAlmonte » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:18 pm

I heard the Smithsonioan Jazz Masterworks Orchestra perform during the WWII Memorial festivities last year. Kinda disappointing actually. Incredible musicians. Some of them even play in various swing bands around DC. However, as an ensemble, they didn't seem very comfortable with the Swing Era material. They did a kick ass version of "Mission Over Moscow", but other than that they didn't really jell. Part of the problem is that I don't think they perform that kind stuff on a regular basis. *shrug* I haven't heard the cd though.

During that same weekend, I got to hear the big bands from all the military branches and I will say that I was pretty impressed by the US Army Blues. I recommend hearing them if they play in your area. The military bands generally only play public, and usually free, concerts around the country.

jerry

falty411

#7 Post by falty411 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:38 pm

recording makes a huge difference im sure.

This CD is well worth it, especially when you can get it used for $3.
-mikey faltesek

CafeSavoy

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:51 am

falty411 wrote:recording makes a huge difference im sure.

This CD is well worth it, especially when you can get it used for $3.
also the sessions from the cd are with different groups of musicians recorded at various times. wow, $3, that's a bargain. and since there's at least 4 good songs on the cd, that's cheaper than itunes.

i agree with jerry though that the military bands have some top notch players in them. i used to see Wade Beach (who used to be with the Airmen of Note) gig all over town and often with Keter Betts.

JesseMiner

#9 Post by JesseMiner » Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:06 pm

You definitely can't go wrong with that price. I ordered mine a while back (under $5 after shipping), and I've enjoyed playing several tracks, most notably "Back Bay Shuffle" and "Flying Home".

Jesse

mousethief

#10 Post by mousethief » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:42 am

I just got it ($3) and I was underwhelmed. "Back Bay Shuffle" was the best piece and I probably won't spin it.

It seemed too earnest, too polished.

Eh.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

falty411

#11 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:35 pm

mousethief wrote:I just got it ($3) and I was underwhelmed. "Back Bay Shuffle" was the best piece and I probably won't spin it.

It seemed too earnest, too polished.

Eh.

Kalman
perhaps its because the stuck so close to original arrangements that it sucked a bit of the excitement out of it.

however, i do like back bay shuffle, Just A Settin and a Rockin, Song of The Volga Boatman, and Flying Home. I have played these at dances and recieved really positive response (because they are the same of arrangmenmts of classic recordings with much better sound quality and different solos)
-mikey faltesek

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#12 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:35 pm

If you guys are looking for Hi-Fi Big Band Swing probably some of the best stuff to get is all of those Capitol recordings of the 50's and 60's when they hired the Casa Loma Orchestra to do all those covers that ended up on the Time Life Series...My fave though is a comp also called "Oscillatin' Rhythm" cheesy ass cover but probably the best "original" Hi-Fi Big Band comp you can get, you get Duke doing Satin Doll, Count doing Shorty George and Swingin' The Blues and Les Brown doing Leap Frog, all in great sound quality...I'm going to be testing it out this weekend...

Nate Dogg

#13 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:59 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:If you guys are looking for Hi-Fi Big Band Swing probably some of the best stuff to get is all of those Capitol recordings of the 50's and 60's when they hired the Casa Loma Orchestra to do all those covers that ended up on the Time Life Series...My fave though is a comp also called "Oscillatin' Rhythm" cheesy ass cover but probably the best "original" Hi-Fi Big Band comp you can get, you get Duke doing Satin Doll, Count doing Shorty George and Swingin' The Blues and Les Brown doing Leap Frog, all in great sound quality...I'm going to be testing it out this weekend...
There was this thread that covered some of the same ground.

50s bands for swing dancing