Willie Nelson

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Roy

#1 Post by Roy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:52 am

Manu wrote:Woooooow No ones told about the Willie Nelson version of that song... It is for the Best ever...
I'be been eyeing the Willie Nelson Jazz CD. I heard him on a show called piano Jazz with Marian Mcpartland and unexpectingly I was blown away by how good he can play Jazz. How's the rest of the CD?

Manu

#2 Post by Manu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:04 am

I really love the Album very much:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 7?v=glance

I didn't know Willie Nelson ,discovered that Tune and then bought the Stardust album... but for the rest, I am not a Country fan
Last edited by Manu on Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:13 am

Stardust was a huge album for Willie Nelson during his heyday in the 70s, several of the tracks are concert staples. "Georgia On My Mind", "All of Me", "Blue Skies" among others are staples of country radio (these days only stations that play older country). The last time I saw Willie play back in February, he played 3 or 4 songs of Stardust. I orginally bought Stardust when I was in high school (late 80s), I heard "All of Me" on the radio and just had to have it.

For DJing, I have never played anything off Stardust, I can't remember any DJ locally playing a Stardust track, maybe I should experiment "On the Sunny Side of the Street" this week.

Willie also did a few other Stardust style albums, 1981's "Somewhere over the Rainbow" and 1994's, "Healing Hands of Time".

I don't own "Rainbow", but "Healings Hands" is a good album, but not DJ material, it has lots of strings, it is quite lush sounding.

Several of the Austin DJs do play tracks off his blues album, Milk Cow Blues.

Last edited by Nate Dogg on Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Toon Town Dave

#4 Post by Toon Town Dave » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:31 am

Can't say I'm, keen on any of the Nelson CDs in a Lindy Hop context but Milk Cow Blues would be a sweet album in a WCS context and a couple tracks I'd maybe play in a blues context.

JesseMiner

#5 Post by JesseMiner » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:36 pm

I've split this discussion off from the On The Sunny Side Of The Street topic.

Jesse Miner
SwingDJs Moderator