Music you should buy

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:42 am

lipi wrote:my favourite cd right now is louis armstrong's "mack the knife", live from newport, 1957. i think it's been mentioned here before. it has the most wonderful version of "now you has jazz".
Yes, I love this CD also. I play 'Mack the Knife' off of this CD a lot, it's a great version and not as cheesy as some other versions. I also like Mahogany Hall Stomp.

Yakov

Re: Music you should buy

#17 Post by Yakov » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:32 pm

yedancer wrote:What would you guys think about having a single thread where we post recommendations of CDs to buy?
but that's every thread... :|

Campus Five

#18 Post by Campus Five » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:44 am

Here's one that should be in everyone's collection:
Summit Meetings 1939-50 - Metronome All Stars/Esquire All Stars - Fremeaux & Associes

Blue Lou, a distinct version of One O'Clock Jump, All Star Strut, a great Basie tune Royal Flush, a bunch of good small group "Esquire" tunes, including Boff Boff. The topper has to be my favorite version of Bugle Call Rag. It's pretty much the classic Goodman arrangement, but played so clean, tight and rockin'.

The second disc I don't really listen to, but if anyone knows of another collection that has just the first disc's worth, I'd love to know.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Manu

#19 Post by Manu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:46 am

Eventhough it is a classic and most of you already knows it, I would add to the list(for the new comers):

The Oscar Peterson Trio - Night Train
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 82-0267318

yedancer

#20 Post by yedancer » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to be coming back here whenever I have the money and inclination to buy CDs.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lars

#21 Post by Lars » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:32 am

In looking around for other versions of "They All Laughed" I ran across this:1937: Ozzie Nelson & His Orchestra

Who'da thought the old guy could swing?

I ended up buying this one and "Jersey Five" and play tunes off of them at our weekly mixed tempo night in Milwaukee at Hot Water!

CafeSavoy

#22 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:27 am

Lars wrote:In looking around for other versions of "They All Laughed" I ran across this:1937: Ozzie Nelson & His Orchestra
A local band Blue Sky 5 has a nice version on their new cd, Tin Goose Jump.
It has some other good songs too. I played some of their songs last week at DCLX.

Lars

#23 Post by Lars » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:18 am

Cassie Miller OMG! I know her from Bill Elliots band. I think he brought her along to Chi. when he played The Willowbrook a year or so ago.
I'll have to go right now and check this out.