Songs from non US DJs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Serg

Songs from non US DJs

#1 Post by Serg » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:43 pm

So I was DJing at the London Exchange this past February. I was the only American DJ there for the weekend. They had DJs from all over Europe though. On Sunday night, last dance, they had about 10 DJs doing 40 minutes shifts. There were DJs from France, Ireland, Sweden, a bunch of Brits, Denmark and some other. I really dug the stuff the French guys played. I noticed that the Swedish DJ girl (very freaking hot BTW) played mostly Swing Classics. The Irish DJ girl played some shit I didn't even know about. The Danish guy played a bit of everything and the Brits were similar to American DJs.

Well, after this long intro I pose a question for you: Do you guys get to hear non American DJs a lot? Do you noticed that lots of stuff they play is not played here? For the record, I consider Canadian DJs in the same group of American guys. And from what I hear the Australlian DJs do a lot of Classic stuff. Let's hear from the rest.

Serg

lipi

#2 Post by lipi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:56 pm

i just want to say that the music that sunday night was "omg so like totally awesome good, you know?". i was particularly fond of the discovery (well, for me a discovery -- i guess others already knew) that you can lindy to "twistin' the night away". and someone played "paint it black". rock on.

anyway. i was happy there. er, what was your question? yeah, i dunno. haven't heard much outside of llx.

LazyP

#3 Post by LazyP » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:01 am

I hear only non-american Djs, so it's kind of hard to compare...
The only american Djs I've heard are at the Herrang Dance Camp and based from that I would say that there is more difference between styles between individual Djs than between countries. Of course some songs get more widely known in some places because of Djs meeting each other and getting influenced by the stuff they hear.

The Swedish girl you mentioned is Johanna Johansson, she is on this board from time to time but not very often. Usually you can find her in Lund, Sweden, where we both Dj. I'm splitting a gig with her tonight, Djing half the night each.
The ultimate european swing site!
www.heptown.com

Mohan

Songs from non US DJs - Stockholm

#4 Post by Mohan » Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:08 am

hi!

I Dj in Stockholm, and a little bit in Herräng.

From what I have heard from people dancing in Herräng, it seems I do play/choose tunes that are not often heard in the US. It is not surprising, Since we don't have many Dj's here, and there is little exposure or exchange of ideas with Dj's from other countries.

I just joined here today, hopefully I will learn more about what is played in the U.S.A! and be able to tell you what I play here.

Cheers

Mohan

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Hey Serg!

I wish I had the opportunity to hear some international DJs.

Ironically we had a visiting DJ from London in Austin last night... I can't remember his last name, but his first name was Tim. He played a lot of classic big band and boogie woogie stuff. Very fun.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

djstarr

Re: Songs from non US DJs - Stockholm

#6 Post by djstarr » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:14 am

Mohan wrote:hi!

I Dj in Stockholm, and a little bit in Herräng.
Mohan - welcome!

I dug your stuff at Herrang; look forward to reading your posts.

Serg

#7 Post by Serg » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:57 pm

gatorgal wrote:Hey Serg!

Ironically we had a visiting DJ from London in Austin last night... I can't remember his last name, but his first name was Tim. He played a lot of classic big band and boogie woogie stuff. Very fun.

Tina 8)
Hey Tina, I think I know the Tim you are talking about. Skinny guy, dresses vintage and is kinda of wacky right?

Really funny guy.

Serg

gatorgal

#8 Post by gatorgal » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:45 pm

Serg wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Hey Serg!

Tina 8)
Hey Tina, I think I know the Tim you are talking about. Skinny guy, dresses vintage and is kinda of wacky right?

Really funny guy.

Serg
That's him. :) Definitely wacky....

Tina B)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Haydn

Re: Songs from non US DJs

#9 Post by Haydn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:12 am

Serg wrote: Do you guys get to hear non American DJs a lot? Do you noticed that lots of stuff they play is not played here?
In my experience French DJs play a lot of stuff I don't normally hear in the UK, and I imagine is not normally heard in the USA either. It's a bit different to most American swing music, but it's good stuff, and I'd like to find out more about it. I guess the best way for me to do this would be to talk to some French DJs!

kitkat

#10 Post by kitkat » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:26 pm

I will say (see the ITunes Redemption thread for the comment that provoked this), the Parisian DJs at least, and perhaps French DJs in general, do seem to play a lot of French-language music.

I made my first post, I think, to start that thread on "decent swing songs in foreign languages" because they were complaining all my music was in English.

Manu

#11 Post by Manu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:19 am

I am one of the French DJs.

I Don't think that one can say that French DJ are playing ONE kind of Music. As I know we all play very different tunes.
It goes from Soul to very old Classics. That's what I like. During one Party we have lots of different styles of music.

My favorites are Ella(who doesn't like her????) Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Erroll Garner.. But other DJs will play some Aretha Frankling, Joe Williams...Etc...

Manu

Haydn

#12 Post by Haydn » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:25 am

Manu wrote:I am one of the French DJs.

I Don't think that one can say that French DJ are playing ONE kind of Music. As I know we all play very different tunes.
It goes from Soul to very old Classics. That's what I like. During one Party we have lots of different styles of music.

My favorites are Ella(who doesn't like her????) Oscar Peterson, Count Basie, Erroll Garner.. But other DJs will play some Aretha Frankling, Joe Williams...Etc...

Manu
Hi Manu.

Can you give me details of some of the French material you play?

Manu

#13 Post by Manu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:00 am

I can give you some titles. As you can see I love lots of different kinds of 'swing'

Ella Fitzgerald - Mack the Knife(Ella returns to Berlin '62)
- Lullaby of Birdland (w/Duke ellington Cote d'azur '58)
- Shiny Stocking (Live at Juan les Pins)
- and lots of other Tunes... she is my fav.
Willie Nelson - On the Sunny Side of the Street
Ernestine Anderson - Sunny
Barbara Morrison - I love being here with you (live at the 9:20 special)
Erroll Garner - Like it is
Indiana
Joe Newman - Topsy
Oscar Peterson - Moten Swing (Night Train)
C Jam Blue
Lou Rawls - I'd rather drink Muddy water
summertime
Tommy Dorsey - We'll git it
Artie Shaw : carioca
Sidney Bechet - All of Me (w/ terry brucker - parisian Encounter)
- Ain't Misbehavin' (w/ terry brucker - parisian Encounter)
- Blues my naughty sweety gives to me

That's the kind of music I play

Serg

#14 Post by Serg » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:46 am

Manu wrote:I can give you some titles. As you can see I love lots of different kinds of 'swing'

Ella Fitzgerald - Mack the Knife(Ella returns to Berlin '62)
- Lullaby of Birdland (w/Duke ellington Cote d'azur '58)
- Shiny Stocking (Live at Juan les Pins)
- and lots of other Tunes... she is my fav.
Willie Nelson - On the Sunny Side of the Street
Ernestine Anderson - Sunny
Barbara Morrison - I love being here with you (live at the 9:20 special)
Erroll Garner - Like it is
Indiana
Joe Newman - Topsy
Oscar Peterson - Moten Swing (Night Train)
C Jam Blue
Lou Rawls - I'd rather drink Muddy water
summertime
Tommy Dorsey - We'll git it
Artie Shaw : carioca
Sidney Bechet - All of Me (w/ terry brucker - parisian Encounter)
- Ain't Misbehavin' (w/ terry brucker - parisian Encounter)
- Blues my naughty sweety gives to me

That's the kind of music I play
I'd would say that your music is pretty much in pair to what we play here in the US. Manu, who was the other French DJ?

Serg

Manu

#15 Post by Manu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:21 am

I think there is a misunderstanding...

I am one of the French DJs... but I was not in London for the LLX... Could not.

So I don't know who were there... May be Olivier (DJ BrotherSwing) or Paulo.. I have no idea...