Songs from non US DJs

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

CafeSavoy

#31 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:54 pm

lipi wrote: and (closer to) on topic: i actually don't like dancing to live music exactly because there is less variety. i grew up with dj'ed music, and i prefer it. i know that's considered heresy in certain circles, but...hey, there you go. i appreciate the band-dancer interaction, but really, nothing beats the last night at this year's london lindy exchange, music wise.
Apostate. :-) . I know what you mean though in that good dj music can provide a flexibility and attentiveness to the mood that mediocre live music cannot provide [although even mediocre music is better live]. But I also think that djs who play as if they were a band lack that flexibility in addition to not having the energy and vibrancy of live music. but i don't really see the conflict between live and dj'ed music. it's great when you can get both. especially when the live music is great. But after hearing two great bands this weekend, the Earl May Quintet with Catherine Russell and the Paul Tillotson Trio, it just reaffirms that I pity your distaste of live music.

Ryan

#32 Post by Ryan » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:12 pm

lipi wrote: and (closer to) on topic: i actually don't like dancing to live music exactly because there is less variety. i grew up with dj'ed music, and i prefer it. i know that's considered heresy in certain circles, but...hey, there you go.
Yeah man, that's pretty fucked up right there.

Shorty Dave

#33 Post by Shorty Dave » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:41 am

falty411 wrote:Also, if it was a live band (which is the optimal situation) you won't here them play an uptempo swing tune, followed by a groovy 60s piece, followed by a funk, followed by a soul.

Actually, that just happened Sat night with Paul Tillotson Love Trio at the CT Exchange!

Furthermore, Fri night, Catherine Russell was singing with Earl May's Quintet. In a given night, you might hear Catherine sing the old skool "My Man's an Undertaker" and "The Joint is Jumpin", the soul-ish "Put Me Down Easy" and "I Wish I Knew How It Would Feel to be Free", as well as a groovin' standard like "Can't We Be Friends", a slow one like "At Last", and who knows what else. That's definitely enough variety for me for one night.

Of course, I'm blessed to live in New York City where we have such incredible jazz musicians. I can understand how other places that don't have such wonderful live music can rely on DJed music as the be-all-end-all. Denver Exchange two weekends ago, for example - the Fri night band was by far the worst part of the weekend music-wise. They were the pits. I'd much rather me some Duke on a cd than that stuff live. I'm guessing those who think it doesn't get any better than a DJed dance simply haven't experienced good live jazz.

(Which of course means you all have to visit NYC :) )

russell

#34 Post by russell » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:32 pm

A small intro. I am from Canberra Australia but have spent a lot of time in Sydney. We have a small but growing scene here where I teach and DJ.
To continue on from what has been said - for myself personally you cannot beat a great live band. Last Sunday night down in Sydney I heard a great 14 piece big band The Dan Barnett Big Band. They were playing in this small hotel and the place was absolutely packed. The band were going off and feeding off the energy of the crowd. I was about 2 feet away from the band being blown away by the energy of the brass section in full voice. There was no room to dance (sort of like dodgem cars) but the vibe was fantastic.
Back on topic (being non-US material) there are great jazz scenes in both Sydney and Melbourne. I am more familar with Sydney myself. Lots of great players - two quick examples - James Morrison who toured with the Gene Harris Philip Morris Superband. Multi-instrumentalist - I have a track where he plays an entire big band arrangement by himself. Tom Baker was a great hot jazz guy - did lots of stuff overseas. Unfortunately now dead but his son Matt Baker is a great jazz pianist. WHen I have more time I will put together some Australian jazz resources if people are interested. Or come on down and check it out in person. :D

ps Dan Barnett has a website with samples from his CDs
http://www.danbarnett.com.au/

junglekid

#35 Post by junglekid » Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:03 am

I have to tip in too: nothing beats a really kicking live band. Almost all my favourite dance nights have been to live bands.

Of course, you can also get really crappy live bands that make you long for a good DJ.

In London we have lots of nights with jump jive, jump blues and rhythm and blues combos, but relatively rarely get to hear really swinging big bands. However, nothing is worse than a big band that's playing decent tunes but doesn't swing.

Recommendation: if any of you get the chance to hear any of Pete Long's projects (Echoes of Ellington, Gillespiana, 9:20 Deluxe) then do not pass it up. Everyone on this board would go mental for his Ellington stuff. On a good night it's the closest I've experienced to what it must've been like having the actual 40s Ellington band in town. High praise indeed, but I reckon they deserve it.

Tom