iTunes song redemption

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Nando

iTunes song redemption

#1 Post by Nando » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:25 am

I got a bunch of free song caps from my Pepsi addiction.

I remember someone giving the tip of downloading Ella Fitzgerald's "Bill Bailey" off of iTunes since it's a hard to get song.

Are there any other rare songs on iTunes that might be worth spending 99 cents (or a Pepsi cap) on. Or a song from an album you wouldn't want to buy, but still worth getting from a service like iTunes?

main_stem

#2 Post by main_stem » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:24 am

That song can actually be found on Juke Box Ella V1—of course there is very little on the two disc set worth DJing with.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Nando

#3 Post by Nando » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:39 pm

yeah, that's why I used it as an example.

Was wondering if anyone found any other good finds like that on iTunes.

I also noticed info on good iTunes deals in the Ben Webster thread.

Nate Dogg

#4 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:23 pm

There are a ton of good songs on iTunes. They are adding albums every day. For me, for swing DJ related stuff, I usually buy songs of albums where I only want the danceable songs.

Since you are using bottlecaps, I would just buy whatever song interests you. In your case, it is not like you are wasting a dollar on a song that is part of a real album that you are planning to buy, since you are not spending any money.

Of course, sometimes, spending a dollar now, knowing that the download in question may be obsolete to you later, might be worth it.

To answer your question, I have bought songs from Madeline Peyroux (Careless Love, Dance Me To The End of Love), Johnny Hodges (Gal From Joes), and Ernie Andrews and Cannonball Adderly (Bill Bailey). As well as some stuff from the Verve vault.

Nathan

Serg

#5 Post by Serg » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:31 pm

Nando, I just got into ITunes. I was looking for "Honky Tonk" from James Brown. It was played by this French DJ at this last London Exchange. I liked the song a lot. The only way to get it was to drop $14.00 of a whole CD. Now, I like James Brown and all but I don't think I could use the rest of the CD. Well, I got it at ITunes for .99c. Great dealio!!!

Talking about this French DJ guy. During this gig at the London Exchange I played before two French DJs (don't ask me the names. I am bad with guy's names). Well, those French DJs had a bunch of songs I've never heard about. They kicked ass! Hell, I will start a new thread on this.

Serg

Haydn

#6 Post by Haydn » Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:42 am

Serg wrote: Talking about this French DJ guy. During this gig at the London Exchange I played before two French DJs (don't ask me the names. I am bad with guy's names). Well, those French DJs had a bunch of songs I've never heard about. They kicked ass! Hell, I will start a new thread on this.

Serg
Hello Serg,

You mean Sunday night in the Crypt. I was there too, and agree the French guys played some good stuff. I'm pretty sure it was French music. I've noticed before that there's a lot of French stuff that only seems to get played by the French - there seems to be a whole new world of French music out there to discover 8)

CafeSavoy

#7 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Serg wrote:Nando, I just got into ITunes. I was looking for "Honky Tonk" from James Brown. It was played by this French DJ at this last London Exchange. I liked the song a lot. The only way to get it was to drop $14.00 of a whole CD. Now, I like James Brown and all but I don't think I could use the rest of the CD. Well, I got it at ITunes for .99c. Great dealio!!!

Serg
Actually, it's a decent album and $14 would be a good price since it's a 2 disc set.