New Proper Records Series

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Serg

New Proper Records Series

#1 Post by Serg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:37 am

I don't know if you are aware but there is a new Proper Records series out there. It is called "The Proper Introduction". They have some Blues, Country but some worthy Swing/ Jazz titles. You can see the whole list here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticcom ... Intro.html

I just ordered Serg Challof, Ike Quebec, Maxinne Sullivan and Eddie Cleanhead. I always order from Copacetic Comics Company. The guy I order with is Bill and his phone is 877-330-0239. They don't have a online order form. But I like their services and this guy is a Jazz lover and pretty much has all the CDs. At $23.95 for 4 discs you can't go wrong. Shipping is pretty cheap as well.

Serg

GemZombie

Re: New Proper Records Series

#2 Post by GemZombie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:45 am

Serg wrote:I don't know if you are aware but there is a new Proper Records series out there. It is called "The Proper Introduction". They have some Blues, Country but some worthy Swing/ Jazz titles. You can see the whole list here:
http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticcom ... Intro.html

I just ordered Serg Challof, Ike Quebec, Maxinne Sullivan and Eddie Cleanhead. I always order from Copacetic Comics Company. The guy I order with is Bill and his phone is 877-330-0239. They don't have a online order form. But I like their services and this guy is a Jazz lover and pretty much has all the CDs. At $23.95 for 4 discs you can't go wrong. Shipping is pretty cheap as well.

Serg
We have about 50 of them at the radio station. If you need reviews on any specific ones before you buy, let me know and I'll take a listen. I use a lot of them on the radio... they are quite good.

Proper has the Proper Pairs as well, which are excellent. I love Proper Records :)

mousethief

#3 Post by mousethief » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:53 am

Proper so rules.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:46 pm

I just got Proper's 2-disc Tiny Bradshaw set. It's awesome. I love Proper!
"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

Serg

#5 Post by Serg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:33 pm

Swifty wrote:I just got Proper's 2-disc Tiny Bradshaw set. It's awesome. I love Proper!
How's that CD? Danceable? I don't have anything from Tiny Bradshaw.

Serg

GemZombie

#6 Post by GemZombie » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:00 pm

Serg wrote:
Swifty wrote:I just got Proper's 2-disc Tiny Bradshaw set. It's awesome. I love Proper!
How's that CD? Danceable? I don't have anything from Tiny Bradshaw.

Serg
Highly recommended. Quite dancable. There's a mix of swingin' tunes as well as R&Bish tunes (ala Swing Session/Stompy Jones). The second disc is more R&Bish than the first.

Swifty

#7 Post by Swifty » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:38 pm

The CDs are indeed split more classic swing on the first disc and more R&B on the second disc. It's definitely dancable and has my longtime favorite version of "Darktown Strutter's Ball."

FYI this set includes all of the tracks on the two Classics discs for about the price of one. There are sound clips on allmusic.com (here)

"Dance like it hurts. Love like you need money. Work when people are watching."

Yakov

#8 Post by Yakov » Wed Mar 23, 2005 7:28 pm

regarding the Copactic Comics Company: It's truly the best. I've probably spent thousands of dollars there since moving to Pittsburgh five years ago. Bill is all about the customer. And he brought his family to a swing dance I ran at Pitt. Buy stuff from him!

regarding Tiny Bradshaw: I got that box and returned it! (to Copacetic, the only store that would possibly accept such a return) The second disc sounded like it was being played underwater, like it was a transfer from a 48kbps MP3. same problem on several players. none of you audiophreaks has noticed this issue? maybe it was restricted to that copy, or a batch of copies?

The unique thing about TB is his band spans several eras of the Big Band -- from the early thirties to the early fifties, and it adapted all along the way.