TIM / Past Perfect

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Campus Five

TIM / Past Perfect

#1 Post by Campus Five » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:38 am

Where can I order some of the Box Sets by TIM / Past Perfect. The Duke "Portrait" one is just great, and I would like to see who else they put out.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Jonas

#2 Post by Jonas » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:06 am

For you Swedish and Norvegian buyers out there (I guess I'm helping a very, very small contingent, sorry Jonathan): www.ginza.se delivers "Portrait" 10 CD boxes with nice price tags (159 - 199 kr).

For American and other buyers: I've checked www.cduniverse.com and www.amazon.com before to compare prices, but they don't seem to have the boxes very often. At http://www.amazon.co.uk, just scribble "portrait xxx" (replace xxx:s with artist surname of choice), and many of them will pop up.

I've got Bechet (1931-1952) and Goodman (1934-1939), and I love them both for the coverage. They're not complete, but you get a lot of good sides. The sound is too muffled for my taste, less surface noise all right, but also "less" music, but for the price it's amazing.

I'm looking at Coleman Hawkins next. There are also boxes with Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, Lester Young, Django Reinhardt, Billie Holiday, Art Tatum, Charlie Parker, Glenn Miller, Frank Sinatra, and two with Fats Waller that I know of.

/Jonas

wheresmygravy

#3 Post by wheresmygravy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:39 am

I don't know if you have them in your area but a discount bookstore chain by the name of Half Priced Books here in Dallas carries a lot of the Past Perfect Box Sets

Campus Five

#4 Post by Campus Five » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:25 pm

I actually found mine in an outlet store in Laughlin. I don't anticipate going back anytime soon though.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

sonofvu

#5 Post by sonofvu » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:27 pm

you can find some of that stuff here : http://home.earthlink.net/~copaceticcom ... mania.html

Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

sonofvu

#6 Post by sonofvu » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:34 pm

Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

gatorgal

#7 Post by gatorgal » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:44 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:I don't know if you have them in your area but a discount bookstore chain by the name of Half Priced Books here in Dallas carries a lot of the Past Perfect Box Sets
Colin says there's a Half Price Books here in Austin selling a few of the box sets for some insane price like $10 or $15 a pop. Of course I'm broke.

Will try to hunt down after I get paid on Friday. ;)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Nate Dogg

#8 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:47 pm

The one used Store in Austin, Planet Replay had about 25 or so Past Perfect CDs on sale for 99 cents each, I bought the them all.

I guess due to the Half Price Books connection, all the used stores seem to have Past Perfect CDs in the used bin (Waterloo, Cheapo, Half Price Books, CD Warehouse).

If somebody wants me to go shopping for them, let me know. I don't think I will see the 99 cent sale again at time soon, but plenty to be had at $5.99 for single CDs, $10 to $25 for the boxes.