On the Sunny Side of the Street

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Segue in C

#16 Post by Segue in C » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:24 pm

I also have versions by Coleman Hawkins Rex Stewart.

Manu

#17 Post by Manu » Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:24 am

Woooooow No ones told about the Willie Nelson version of that song... It is for the Best ever...

fastfeet

#18 Post by fastfeet » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:38 pm

Two great versions:
Slam Stewart - instrumental version - this is probably my favorite.
The version from the short film "Jammin' the Blues" with Lester Young et al. I don't know the name of the singer but it is the most laid back swinging version I have heard.

kitkat

#19 Post by kitkat » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Just heard a version w/ great energy in a bar: Pee Wee Hunt (album: "Twelfth Street Rag").

A lot of the album is, well, old-timey, like you'd expect something called "Twelfth Street Rag." But this cut of "Sunny Side" is less trad and more swingey, and it's upper-mid-tempo, as opposed to barely-out-of-slow.

By the way, if you're ever in the Minneapolis area on a 2nd Sunday of the month, drop by the Nomad World Pub, the bar where I heard this. Dance, have a great beer if that's your thing, and bring your instrument if you play! The Southside Aces, a local band, throw a jam + buffet from 5-8. Don't forget to tip the chefs!

alainw

#20 Post by alainw » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:03 am

My favorite recording of "On the Sunny Side of the Street" for DJ'ing at a dance is from James Booker off the album "New Orleans Piano Wizard: Live!", recorded from his performance at the 1977 Boogie Woogie and Ragtime Piano Contest held in Zurich.

So good!!! I'm going to venture a guess and say I've DJed this recording at least a hundred times in the past two years. That's what you call a signature song :)

kitkat

#21 Post by kitkat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:38 am

That is good, Alain!

CafeSavoy

#22 Post by CafeSavoy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:50 pm

alainw wrote:My favorite recording of "On the Sunny Side of the Street" for DJ'ing at a dance is from James Booker off the album "New Orleans Piano Wizard: Live!", recorded from his performance at the 1977 Boogie Woogie and Ragtime Piano Contest held in Zurich.

So good!!! I'm going to venture a guess and say I've DJed this recording at least a hundred times in the past two years. That's what you call a signature song :)
That's a great version.

Haydn

#23 Post by Haydn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:03 am

alainw wrote:My favorite recording of "On the Sunny Side of the Street" for DJ'ing at a dance is from James Booker off the album "New Orleans Piano Wizard: Live!", recorded from his performance at the 1977 Boogie Woogie and Ragtime Piano Contest held in Zurich.

It's the first track on this album ...

http://allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sq ... frxqqgldde

JesseMiner

#24 Post by JesseMiner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 am

Alan, thanks for recommended the great version by James Booker. I am loving it!

I can't believe this version by Harold Nicolas (yes, this Harold Nicolas) has not been mentioned yet! I just discovered it (thanks to Marc D'Olimpio) and discussed it on the March episode of Hey Mister Jesse.

Jesse

Joninho22

#25 Post by Joninho22 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:13 am

Have to say, I love the Les Young version more than anything else, but I also have the Dizzy Gillespie in Paris version, as well as a Django Reinhart version that I can't rembmer where i got, but is glorious.

JarrydR

#26 Post by JarrydR » Tue May 03, 2011 7:51 pm

My favorite at the moment is probably the Erroll Garner version from Erroll Garner: The Complete Savoy Master Takes

Check it out yo!

lipi

Re:

#27 Post by lipi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:02 am

fastfeet wrote:Two great versions:
The version from the short film "Jammin' the Blues" with Lester Young et al. I don't know the name of the singer but it is the most laid back swinging version I have heard.
I'm digging through the archive for no-doubt nefarious purposes, and this caught my eye: the singer is Marie Bryant, who was primarily known as a dancer.

Back to your regularly scheduled silence now. *tumbleweed*