Cleo Brown

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mark0tz

Cleo Brown

#1 Post by mark0tz » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:25 pm

Just picked up:
1935-1951 [Classics] from Amazon today. She's got a sweet little voice, but not too sweet. Absolutely loving the first few tunes, and I'm definitely going to see what else of hers I can dig up...
Mike Marcotte

kitkat

#2 Post by kitkat » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:04 pm

Is her "When Hollywood Goes Black and Tan" the one the Hot Shots have as part of their most recent show of the same name?

Man, what a voice...the music's a little old-fashioned (heavily strummed) for me to get away with more than once, MAYBE twice a long night in the places I've usually spun, but I'm intoxicated at the first few sound clips.

Definitely going on my shopping list.
MP3.com link if Allmusic doesn't work for you
Amazon - another album
I just took off some heels...I like this one.

Matthew

#3 Post by Matthew » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:04 pm

Thanks to your suggestion, Mike, I ordered it. I love how she sounds "cooler" than many other singers. She doesn't try as hard to make it interesting, she just sings, which I think is much more interesting. I'm still going through it, but already I really enjoy "Boogie Woogie" (where she tells dancers how to play with the breaks and "mess around, or something") and "When Hollywood Goes Black and Tan" (fun intro). I'd been looking for something like this for a while. Many thanks!