Song quotes / solo quotes as songs.

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Campus Five

Song quotes / solo quotes as songs.

#1 Post by Campus Five » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:31 am

Here's something I noticed recently.
Sweets Edison's solo in "Avenue C" (Basie, 1945), ends up being the melody to "Sweets" (Basie, 1950).
Coleman Hawkins solo in "One O'Clock Jump" (Metronome All Star Band, 1941), ends up the melody to "Feedin' the Bean" (Basie, 1941)
The first two bars of Cootie Williams solo in "Rockin' Rhythm" (Duke, 1933(?)), ends up as the melody to "Peckin" (Goodman/James, 1937).

Any other good solo quotes turned into songs?
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

GemZombie

Re: Song quotes / solo quotes as songs.

#2 Post by GemZombie » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:45 am

Campus Five wrote:Here's something I noticed recently.
Sweets Edison's solo in "Avenue C" (Basie, 1945), ends up being the melody to "Sweets" (Basie, 1950).
Coleman Hawkins solo in "One O'Clock Jump" (Metronome All Star Band, 1941), ends up the melody to "Feedin' the Bean" (Basie, 1941)
The first two bars of Cootie Williams solo in "Rockin' Rhythm" (Duke, 1933(?)), ends up as the melody to "Peckin" (Goodman/James, 1937).

Any other good solo quotes turned into songs?
Neat. I love those kind of connections... I'll have to check those out.

I'd guess a lot of songs got their origins from some improvisations.

julius

#3 Post by julius » Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:51 pm

According to what I've read the Basie head arrangements owe a lot to solo motifs that arose while playing other songs. So pretty much every classic Basie song like OOJ, Woodside, Texas Shuffle, Every Tub etc. got their riffs from solos.

Not quite the same, but Wardell Gray's solo on "Twisted" was turned into vocalese by Annie Ross of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross.

Shorty Dave

#4 Post by Shorty Dave » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:00 pm

I don't think this counts, but what about Happy Go Lucky Local / Night Train?
julius wrote:Not quite the same, but Wardell Gray's solo on "Twisted" was turned into vocalese by Annie Ross of Lambert, Hendricks and Ross.
Yeah, that stuff is cool...listening to the actual solo that was used when the vocalese person wrote down words. Gene Ammons' Red Top, James Moody's I'm In The Mood For Love, etc, etc.

Campus Five

#5 Post by Campus Five » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:23 pm

Vocalese isn't the same thing. I'm a firm believer that songs that weren't written with words, generally shouldn't habe words.
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:47 pm

I'll try to do some research. I think in "Beyond Category," there is some mention of Duke taking Bubber Miley's solos and turning them into other pieces.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

main_stem

#7 Post by main_stem » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:14 pm

Shorty Dave wrote:I don't think this counts, but what about Happy Go Lucky Local / Night Train?
Actually the song was originally Johnny Hodges' That's the Blues Old Man.
Last edited by main_stem on Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

djstarr

#8 Post by djstarr » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:25 pm

The melody of "I'm checking out, Goombye" on Blue Rose [1956 collaboration of Rosemary Clooney and Duke Ellington/Billy Strayhorn] is the same as on "Barney Goin' Easy", [Ellington's Small Units; Barney Bigard and his Jazzopaters; 1935-1951].

"Barney goin' Easy" is an instrumental but sounds like a melody, not a solo, so I'd be curious to know when words were added or if it was composed as a song.

Campus Five

#9 Post by Campus Five » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:57 pm

Duke recorded "I'm Checkin' Out" twice in 1939, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear that it was an instrumenal first. After all, "Never No Lament" was the original instrumental version of "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." As I said, songs that weren't written with words, generally shouldn't have words - although there are some exceptions. But c'mon -"Duke's Place" why bother? A vocal version of "Cottontail"? Ughhh....

More on topic, I was really referring to songs that were generated spontaneously out of other songs, or riffs, or solos. I wasn't really thinking about songs that had two different titles, or different lyric vs. instrumental versions. Obviously the Basie band of the late 30's, early 40's would be ground zero for that kind of creativity, I was just wondering if there are any other intresting momments like that.
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com

CafeSavoy

#10 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:31 am

I guess we should just burn all copies of "squeeze me don't tease me" (originally "subtle slough").

djstarr

#11 Post by djstarr » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:44 pm

Campus Five wrote:As I said, songs that weren't written with words, generally shouldn't have words - although there are some exceptions. But c'mon -"Duke's Place" why bother? A vocal version of "Cottontail"? Ughhh....
I don't necessarily agree with this - I think there are a lot of melodies that are naturally lyrical. And the words give another layer of meaning - as I sit here all I can here is Ella singing "Duke's Place" in my head ;-)

Yakov

#12 Post by Yakov » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:18 am

Ella is allowed to sing whatever she damn well wants, even "Squatty Roo"

Campus Five

#13 Post by Campus Five » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:58 pm

A good artist can still record crap. Just because it's Ella doesn't make it good.
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com

trev

#14 Post by trev » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:37 pm

I tend to agree.

I don't think there's a whole lot of artistic merit in the way lyrics were added to something like Opus One "...so they call it opus one". But turning something like 'Never No Lament' into 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' seems to have more integrity about it.

GemZombie

#15 Post by GemZombie » Wed Mar 02, 2005 8:43 am

trev wrote:I tend to agree.

I don't think there's a whole lot of artistic merit in the way lyrics were added to something like Opus One "...so they call it opus one". But turning something like 'Never No Lament' into 'Don't Get Around Much Anymore' seems to have more integrity about it.
There are exceptions to every rule. I'm a fan of the instrumental myself, so when a good instrumental is turned into a pop song, it's usually annoying.

Ella's conversions were like scatting over a song anyway, so I think there's how the exception often works with her.

Another almost exception is the way Jimmy Dorsey's "Sorghum Switch" was turned into "Coleslaw" by Jesse Stone. It's annoying too, but amusing at the same time. The song was just average to begin with, so turning it into an R&B novelty song didn't seem to hurt it.

For the record I never much cared for Don't Get Around Much Anymore. It's an ok tune, but not a favorite.