songs that don't make experienced lindy hoppers groan

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Zak

songs that don't make experienced lindy hoppers groan

#1 Post by Zak » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:44 pm

Hi,
I haven't posted in a while. I dj a crossover WCS/ECS/Lindy dance in Massachusetts. We have a lot of colleges in the area so on occasion we have open houses to try to get new blood into the scene. Inevitably the new kids in their mid-late teens will ask for 'Zoot Suit Riot' or 'Sing, Sing, Sing' because they are the only songs they know. I usually tell them I don't have them because I know the experienced dancers will lynch me. If I play those songs the newbies end up doing what I can Mosh-swing. They'll do a few basics and crazily bounce off each other.

The newbies probably like these songs because they have a catchy melody and a rhythm that's easy to pick up. Instead of those songs I'll play something like 'Too Darn Hot' by Ellla, 'Mayflower Rock' by Gillespie, 'C Jam Blues' by Lincoln Center Orchestra, some Wyonnie Harris jump blues, 'Walkin Blues' by Fluffy Hunter, etc.

Do you folks have some suggestions for upbeat, catchy songs that the newbies can dance to that won't make the experienced lindy dancers groan?
Thanks.
Zak

Bob the Builder

#2 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Feb 13, 2005 4:53 am

The best middle territory is some good "Rhythm and Blues". Most beginners love it, and some of the more experience dancers will go along with it.

When you have very different levels and types of dancers you are never going to keep every only happy with every song. I think a mix is the only with to keep everyone happy.

Brian

trev

#3 Post by trev » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:32 pm

C Jam Blues by LCJO never seems to fail to get all dancers up, even if it does get groans by regulars.

I've also had success with Hoodle Addle by Ray McKinley and some Cab Calloway - It's catchy, if a little tired, but the regulars will go along with it.

Another way to go is to play different versions of classics. One O'Clock Jump and Flying Home are usually well recieved all round, and if I play different stormin' live versions it seem to keep it fresh.

Zak

#4 Post by Zak » Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:19 pm

Bob,
I know I can't make everyone happy, jeez, I have to play wcs, ecs, & lindy and keep everyone dancing. I usually succeed at that. I've come up with a good rotation that seems to keep most people on the floor. Fortunately there are enough crossover wcs/lindy tunes or crossover ecs/lindy tunes that I can play to keep most people happy most of the time.

We're trying to build the community so I like to have a good collection of songs that the newbies can follow and that experienced dancers like as well. Newer dancers seem to learn better with the jump blues, rockin' jazz, foot stompin' kind of swing music. A subtle song like 'The Time is Right' by Basie & Peterson usually gets a reaction like 'Can you play some swing music' by the newer dancers. :)

Trev,
I do have Cab Calloway's 'Are you hep to the jive?' cd. Thanks for the suggestions.

CafeSavoy

#5 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:20 am

I'd second the suggestion to play jump blues, especially the artists that came out of the swing era like Louis Jordan. There's a good compilation called " Jumpin' Like Mad: Cool Cats & Hip Chicks" that has a good sampling of songs and artists. A few other artists include Buddy Johnson, Louis Prima, Julia Lee, and Nellie Lutcher. You might also consider some of the new jump bands like Lavay Smith, Indigo Swing, Mighty Blues King, Casey McGill, and Swing Session.

Also you might look for other versions of Sing, Sing, Sing, especially shorter ones. Fletcher Henderson, Roy Eldridge, and Jess Stacy have shorter versions. The original by Louis Prima is shorter too. Similarly, if you had a request for jump jive, you could play the louis prima version.

Then you have swing songs that jump. Lionel Hampton have lots of songs like that. Also the Kansas City artists like Jay McShann.

Zak

#6 Post by Zak » Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:07 am

Hi Rayned,
Did the Hooked On Swing Society in Northampton, Mass ever get a hold of you? I know they were trying to confirm with you whether or not you'd be able to come up for a Saturday dance for djing & possibly workshops. I do West Coast Swing in the D.C. area on occasion so they asked me to try to pass the word along to you to confirm with them. If you have already resolved this then just ignore this note. If not I can give you contact info. Thanks.
Zak

Lenny Love

Re: songs that don't make experienced lindy hoppers groan

#7 Post by Lenny Love » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:19 am

Ever heard of a group called Dynamo's Rhythm Aces?
Check 'em out on the web - they perform 'cover versions of well known contemporary pop songs', in a swingin'/jivin'/lindy hop style...
They're based in Bristol (in the UK) and for the past 2 or 3 years I've been playing a couple of their tunes to newbies and regulars alike which are guaranteed to pack the floor everytime - in fact, I constantly get requests for them now.
The two tracks in question are Springsteen's "Dancing In The Dark", and the Prince song (that Tom Jones also covered), "Kiss".
Sounds crazy, but believe me - they work. Big time!

Greg Avakian

#8 Post by Greg Avakian » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:40 pm

I sometimes DJ similar dances and it is hard to please everyone. I totally agree with Rayned's selections although I've played Prima's and Henderson's versions of SSS and the newbies don't want any part of it. :)

Besides Calloway and Jordan, I'd strongly recomend Slim and Slam; even though some people are sick of Jump rhythm, Chicken rhythm, laughin' in rhythm, having sex with a porcupine rhythm, etc, they are fun songs for newbies.

Greg
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

Segue in C

#9 Post by Segue in C » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Duke Ellingtons 'Segue in C' is a guaranteed floor filler. People love it, even though it runs for over 8 minutes. It's great because the music changes pitch so many times, so people tend to really listen and feel it when the dance.

Basie does a good version too, but the Ellington arrangement blows me away every time. Gives me shivers down my spine and love to play it.

Lippy

#10 Post by Lippy » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:27 pm

This may sound a little crazy, but it works every so often. Although it's not a week to week fix, sometimes I'll play a little mini neo set near the end of the night. I never play the whole song of Zoot Suit Riot or Sing Sing Sing, but instead I hit the crowd with maybe a third or quarter of each song. At least in Chicago, it often gets the Old Schoolers up and dancing in a "make fun" sort of way, usually evolving into a jam.

Sometimes it's fun to go back to the past. We all danced to Jump Jive and Wail at some point and didn't HATE it. I'd say I do this maybe 2 to 3 times a year.

GemZombie

#11 Post by GemZombie » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:38 pm

Lippy wrote:This may sound a little crazy, but it works every so often. Although it's not a week to week fix, sometimes I'll play a little mini neo set near the end of the night. I never play the whole song of Zoot Suit Riot or Sing Sing Sing, but instead I hit the crowd with maybe a third or quarter of each song. At least in Chicago, it often gets the Old Schoolers up and dancing in a "make fun" sort of way, usually evolving into a jam.

Sometimes it's fun to go back to the past. We all danced to Jump Jive and Wail at some point and didn't HATE it. I'd say I do this maybe 2 to 3 times a year.
I've done something like that on occasion. It's rare, but I get a kick out of playing some horrid neo-songs and watching the long-time regulars groan, then get out and kinda cheeze it up a bit. It's usually followed by the newbies getting excited and coming up to me asking what that was... so it's a double edged sword. ;)

CountBasi

#12 Post by CountBasi » Mon May 19, 2008 3:31 pm

Segue in C wrote:Duke Ellingtons 'Segue in C' is a guaranteed floor filler. People love it, even though it runs for over 8 minutes. It's great because the music changes pitch so many times, so people tend to really listen and feel it when the dance.

Basie does a good version too, but the Ellington arrangement blows me away every time. Gives me shivers down my spine and love to play it.
Is the version you like most from the 'First Time' album, Ellington Meets Basie? I'd love to hear the one you like - I have this First Time on CD.. can't find any other Ellington work with this track on it?

wow.. just realised this is 3 years old (thread). sorry people.
It don't matter if your clock is broke - it's the right time somewhere : Slim Gaillard

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue May 20, 2008 11:20 am

CountBasi wrote:
Is the version you like most from the 'First Time' album, Ellington Meets Basie? I'd love to hear the one you like - I have this First Time on CD.. can't find any other Ellington work with this track on it?

wow.. just realised this is 3 years old (thread). sorry people.
Performer - Composer - Album - Year - Style
Count Basie Orchestra Frank Wess Basie Is Back 2007 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Basie at Birdland 1961 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Basie at Birdland 1961 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Best of the Roulette Years 1957 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Chairman of the Board 1958 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Jazz Profile 1997 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Palais de Chaillot 3-29-60: Live 2001 Jazz
Count Basie Frank Wess Visions of Jazz: A Musical Journey 1998 Jazz
Count Basie Complete Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (1958-1962) 1958 Jazz
Count Basie Complete Roulette Live Recordings of Count Basie and His Orchestra (1958-1962) 1958 Jazz
Count Basie Count Basie [Laserlight] 1992 Jazz
Count Basie In Concert 1960/62 1995 Jazz
Count Basie Live Paris 1960/62 2000 Jazz
Duke Ellington Frank Wess Count Meets the Duke/Classics 2007 Jazz
Duke Ellington Frank Wess First Time! The Count Meets the Duke [Bonus Tracks] 1999 Jazz
Duke Ellington Frank Wess First Time! The Count Meets the Duke 1961 Jazz
Duke Ellington Frank Wess Really Swingin': Frankie Manning's Big Band 1998 Jazz
Duke Ellington Original Album Classics 2007 Jazz
Sir Roland Hanna Count Basie ... This Time It's Real 1994 Jazz