Sweet Georgia Brown

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

#16 Post by djstarr » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:41 pm

I like both the BG quartet version (lots of vibe) and the Alberta Hunter version on Amtrak Blues.

And my favorite live version is from Ham Carson; it's a regular favorite of theirs and always comes with the introduction: "Now it's time for the national anthem of basketball!". They played the Sonics game last Tuesday so were well prepared ;-)

BillBee

#17 Post by BillBee » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:50 pm

A couple versions I like just for listening are Dave Brubeck's, and John Pizzarelli.
"To watch us dance is to hear our hearts speak"

hep2hop

#18 Post by hep2hop » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:15 am

"wow - I thought '20' was his first album. I was very into Harry Connick about 15 years ago and really enjoyed seeing his live band play the Seattle Opera House; I've been meaning to go through the CDs I have (about 7) to look for tracks for swing dj'ing."

The whole album is good Charleston dance material. He plays piano on all the tracks. He actually sings on one, I think Dr. Jazz, with a Louis Armstrong impersonation. It's well done but a little unusual because of his childs voice. Kind of sounds like a woman impersonating Louis.

I also play Come By Me quite a bit, which is from the album of the same name. It always gets people dancing.

Chris

Nate Dogg

#19 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:07 am

The album Eleven was originally a local/regional release in 1978, back when he was a child prodigy. After he hit it big, it was released nationally, I think concurrently with the 25 album in 1992.

Nathan

Roy

#20 Post by Roy » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:19 pm

Ah ha,

I found another song with someone playing the Bones. From Memphis Minnie: Queen of the blues. A 1938 recording of New Orleans Stop Time. The bones sound pretty good on here, they get equal billing with Minnie's vocals and guitar. In brother bones recordings they are up front. The vocals on this track are actually interesting with references to the dances "snake hips" and the "Shim Sham".

Lippy

#21 Post by Lippy » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:48 pm

There is also a fun version by Rose Murphy. She has a sort of Betty Boop cartoon voice.

Oh and I almost forgot about the version by Clora Bryant.

Both worth checking out.

Mike

#22 Post by Mike » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:59 pm

JesseMiner wrote:You're missing my favorite to play at dances:

Ella Fitzgerald w/ Duke Ellington - Cote d'Azur Concerts (Disc 7)
I actually prefer the slightly faster version by them on Live at the Greek Theater. Give it a listen, it's more energetic IMO, although it can't match the pristine sound quality of the Verve recording.

Mike