Melodie Jazz Classics - are they still available, or what?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Charleston Charlie

Melodie Jazz Classics - are they still available, or what?

#1 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:12 am

Hey there, folks.

Having the damndest time finding Erskine Hawkins 1935- 1938 on The Chronological Classics series. My usual dealer hasn't had a shipment from them in 6 months.

Are they still around? I think I will have a panic attack if they ain't!
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

Bob the Builder

#2 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:38 am

I can't be sure, but I get the impression they haven't been printing is a while. And yes, they are getting, harder and harder to find.

Brian

Roy

#3 Post by Roy » Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:07 am

I'm not sure about their jazz series. but they started a similar series with blues artists, so they are still around and are still printing.

Charleston Charlie

#4 Post by Charleston Charlie » Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:58 pm

I went to a buddy's place for a record hop last night. He said that because it is a French record label, they only have publishing rights whithin the EEC - and that shipping to the US is actually verboten.

Does anybody here know anything about copyright law to confirm this or not?
"‘Swing’ is an adjective or a verb, not a noun. All jazz musicians should swing. There is no such thing as a ’swing band’ in music.”-
Artie Shaw

Yakov

#5 Post by Yakov » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:35 pm

considering how Proper and JSP are in the same exact boat (just without overcharging), i don't see how that could be an issue for recordings from before the 1950s.

and if that's the case, seems you'd be able to find them on overseas Amazon sites.

Bob the Builder

#6 Post by Bob the Builder » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:03 pm

This is what Amazon.fr say.
link

It's funny that Amazon.de (Germany) say its a US import. When I was in Sweden I notticed a shop had a lot of the "Classic" lables and a good value too, but I don't know how to access them now.

Brain

Matthew

#7 Post by Matthew » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:56 pm

Here's one. It appears to be 1936-38. Not sure if they'll actually have it in stock, though. Good luck.

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#8 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Sun Jan 30, 2005 9:50 pm

I picked that up about two months ago...it is out of print, in fact most of the Classics catalog is now out of print although they continue to put out new releases...it's all about checking the Amazon third party sellers on a consistent basis...one will show up for ya...

Charleston Charlie

#9 Post by Charleston Charlie » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:08 pm

I found one! Probably the last new copy in the G8. I found it at : http://www.venerablemusic.com/.

this guy is ultra-helpful, and stocks a lot of decent stuff. He runs his store out of his home in rural Georgia. It's nice to support the little guy.

BTW, it is true that CLC Melodie Jazz Classics are not shipping. At least two of the sites I used to buy from have sent out email notices that they will no longer be filling orders for Chronological Classics if the existing orders are not in stock.

I tried GEMM but that went nowhere - and the one they pointed to was in France, so if they don't have it, it ain't around.

Better buy 'em when you see 'em.

One last thing - the Erskine Hawkins 1936 - 1938 is EXCELLENT.
Artie Shaw

Yakov

#10 Post by Yakov » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:16 am

i'm just hoping for an erskine proper box

Bob the Builder

#11 Post by Bob the Builder » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:01 pm

Just got this email from http://www.worldsrecords.com/
A bit of news from Classics Jazz label (this company also produces the Classics R&B label) - they are resuming production after a ten month hiatus. The next batch of five releases is expected in the next several weeks. It is unclear at this time when out-of-stock past catalog CDs from this label will be returning.
Sounds like a start.

Brian
Last edited by Bob the Builder on Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kitkat

#12 Post by kitkat » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:15 pm

I still wanna know how to get ahold of the darned company so I can see if they have any jobs open. Je parle français ! Sigh--they're one of the best-hidden companies I've ever tried to trace.

By the way, Brian, your link's dead.

Mike

#13 Post by Mike » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:09 pm

Rayned, didn't you give me their mailing address once? Or was that someone else?

CafeSavoy

#14 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:57 pm

Mike wrote:Rayned, didn't you give me their mailing address once? Or was that someone else?
I think i found it on the web once. I'm not sure where i put it though.