The Basie-Peterson Recordings

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

The Basie-Peterson Recordings

#1 Post by Yakov » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:53 am

I didn't know there were so many.

1. Satch and Josh. 1974. with Ray Brown, Freddie Green, and Louis Belleson. One of the re-releases is cunningly titled Count Basie Encounters Oscar Peterson. Straight awesome amazing. (For slow blues and mellow lindy.)

2. Satch And Josh... Again. with Heard and Belleson. I don't like this album very much.

3. Night Rider. 1978. With Heard and Belleson. Never heard it.

4. The Timekeepers. 1978. With John Heard and Louis Belleson. Never heard it.

*. Oscar Peterson Plays The Count Basie Songbook.. Oscar Peterson, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, Buddy Rich.

-yakov.

Nate Dogg

#2 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:59 am

They are all on eMusic (minus Oscar Peterson Plays The Count Basie Songbook). If you are interested, that might be an economical way of getting them.

JesseMiner

#3 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:22 am

Great albums. Have them all except for "Satch And Josh... Again". I have strangly not come across it in a while, but I have been planning to pick it up next time I see it. Can't go wrong with Basie and Peterson on a recording. I first picked up "Satch and Josh" years ago after reading a glowing review by Meeshi on swingorama.com (sadly, I don't think his reviews are still on there). Also, Paul and Sharon used to play "Night Rider" in one of their weekly classes. I picked up the album afterwards and quickly realized that at 12+ minutes I probably couldn't get away with playing it at a dance. ;)

Jesse

sonofvu

#4 Post by sonofvu » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:08 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:They are all on eMusic (minus Oscar Peterson Plays The Count Basie Songbook). If you are interested, that might be an economical way of getting them.
Except that you can't dj from them.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Nate Dogg

#5 Post by Nate Dogg » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:22 pm

sonofvu wrote:
Nate Dogg wrote:They are all on eMusic (minus Oscar Peterson Plays The Count Basie Songbook). If you are interested, that might be an economical way of getting them.
Playing MP3s from eMusic is probably the least infringing thing out there right now in the DJ world.

I can think of DJs whose entire sets consist of 90% music that they never bought, not even from iTunes or eMusic.

Nathan

CafeSavoy

Re: The Basie-Peterson Recordings

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:36 pm

Yakov wrote:I didn't know there were so many.

-yakov.
There are more recordings too. Count Basie and Friends, Count Basie Plays the Blues, and a few other Basie recordings that have a Peterson on a track or two. I think some of their work together may be unreleased on cd.

sonofvu

#7 Post by sonofvu » Mon Jan 24, 2005 3:24 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:
sonofvu wrote:
Playing MP3s from eMusic is probably the least infringing thing out there right now in the DJ world.

I can think of DJs whose entire sets consist of 90% music that they never bought, not even from iTunes or eMusic.

Nathan
I know. And that is just my problem with emusic and itms. I payed for the stuff and I'm still a criminal in their eyes. In any event, go ahead and enjoy the Basie stuff.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Yakov

#8 Post by Yakov » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:24 am

I actually don't think S&J Again is very good. It's my only Basie or Peterson album to languish in the back of my "etc jazz" music wallet.

mousethief

#9 Post by mousethief » Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:12 am

I just got S&J...Again. Unfortunately (maybe fortunately), it's in the mailbox and I haven't picked it up yet. Let you know once I get a chance to listen to it.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

djstarr

#10 Post by djstarr » Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:56 pm

I like to spin Red Wagon and Lady Fitz off of Satch & Josh again, and Roots is a great song, but on the long and slow side. Everything else is questionable as far as DJ'ing, although it's great listening.

Shorty Dave

#11 Post by Shorty Dave » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:39 pm

I love Satch and Josh...one of my first ever jazz cds I got, right after Night Train. I also like playing Jive at Five from Oscar's Tribute to Basie.
CafeSavoy wrote:There are more recordings too....Count Basie Plays the Blues
Do you know if this cd has any music with the two of them that's not from the other cds? It looks like a compilation.

Roy

#12 Post by Roy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:57 am

There is allso "Yessir that's my baby" Not as good as some of the others mentioned, but it does have the only recording of "blues for Roy" not a great song but it has my name in it so what can I say.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... 9ds35ya3vg

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:48 am

Shorty Dave wrote:
Do you know if this cd has any music with the two of them that's not from the other cds? It looks like a compilation.
It is a compilation; it is comprised of Basie's picks from all the small group sessions he did Norman Grantz. Allmusic states the the songs were unreleased when the album was released, but I don't know if the sessions have been issued since. Take the "Easy Does It", do you know if it's on any other cd? Just doing a quick check on allmusic to see what other cds contain those songs shows that some do not seem to appear on other Basie cds.