Peter Ecklund/Orphan Newsboys

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Swifty

Peter Ecklund/Orphan Newsboys

#1 Post by Swifty » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:19 am

As not to continue the hijacking of the "Favorite Songs Right Now" thread, I'm starting a new one.
JohnDyer wrote:
Swifty wrote: I just bought an Orphan News Boys disc from Peter last time he was in Rochester, I will have to check on the title. It's not listed on Amazon but it's good.
Good to listen to or good to spin from or both? With your DJ hat on, would your recommend this album? If so, where can I find it?! :)
The album I have is The Orphan Newsboys at the Lafayette Club.

Tracks:
  1. 'Ladies and gentlemen…' (Intro) 0:12
  2. You're Lucky to Me 5:02
  3. I'm Building Up to an Awful Letdown 4:59
  4. In a Little Spanish Town 6:26
  5. You Brought a New Kind of Love to Me 7:02
  6. Come Back Sweet Papa 5:10
  7. Wabash Blues 7:24
  8. Chinatown, My Chinatown 5:10
  9. A Kiss to Build a Dream On / I Surrender Dear 3:12
  10. Ida, Sweet as Apple Cider 2:50
  11. China Boy 4:37
  12. Keepin' Out of Mischief Now 6:42
  13. Little White Lies 5:37
  14. The Band (Outro) 0:33
I ripped about a minute each from the tunes and uploaded them here if you want a listen.

I don't think I'll DJ from it much (mostly because of the song lengths and lack of percussion) but I might spin one or two at a quieter late night if it seems appropriate. I think if you liked the Elkhart album you'll like this one too, as Ecklund and Marty Grosz (guitar/vocals) are prominent on both.

JohnDyer

#2 Post by JohnDyer » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:13 am

I LOVE it. I'd spin from it. I think the bass and rhythm guitar are anough of a rhythm section (not to mention the tuba on track 7). That said, I miss Hal Smith's percussion like in the Elkhart album :(

I generally try not to spin songs more than 5 minutes, but there are always exceptions song-wise, and just the right moment where it just fits in a set. Nobody I know complains about Nina's 8 minute "Jelly Roll" - although it's considerably slower. You might be right about using it on quieter nights, but the recording quality sounds really good.

Thanks Swifty!

Rayned did you have any other Orphan Newsboy recordings?
John Dyer, Denver CO