Small Chamber Jazz

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Jerry_Jelinek

#16 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:09 am

Keep the ideas coming. This is great.

Another one I came across last night is the Fred Astaire Verve sessions from the mid 1950s. Has the JATP people with him - Charlie Shavers, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown etc. Some very nice things in that.

http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-main/wxLZc8JGJPWh.b

CafeSavoy

#17 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:45 am

Yakov wrote:the original Kansas City 5, 6, 7

Can someone direct me to the Lionel Hampton 30's small groups? I can't find it.

You can find the Lionel Hampton jam bands sessions on "The Jumping Jive ", "Hot Mallets," and "Tempo and Swing."

p.s. Some of those KC 5,6,7 tracks can also be found on "The Complete Lester Young on Keynote".

CafeSavoy

#18 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:49 am

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:Keep the ideas coming. This is great.

Another one I came across last night is the Fred Astaire Verve sessions from the mid 1950s. Has the JATP people with him - Charlie Shavers, Oscar Peterson, Ray Brown etc. Some very nice things in that.

http://www.cdconnection.com/bin/nph-main/wxLZc8JGJPWh.b
If you are including the '50s, you might want to consider some of the Benny Carter small group sessions with Oscar Peterson. There are also a bunch of Lester Young sessions from that era too. The early Modern Jazz Quartet recordings will probably qualify too, after all, they are the definition of polite jazz.

Campus Five

#19 Post by Campus Five » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:57 am

Basically the only LH small groups that I know of are all on the classics chronological, like 1936-1940. You'd have to double check allmusic or something like that.
"I don''t dig that two beat jive the New Orleans cats play.
My boys and I have four heavy beats to the bar and no cheating!
--Count Basie
www.campusfive.com
www.myspace.com/campusfive
www.swingguitar.blogspot.com

Jerry_Jelinek

#20 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:27 am

CafeSavoy wrote:The early Modern Jazz Quartet recordings will probably qualify too, after all, they are the definition of polite jazz.
You bring up a very good point. The Modern Jazz Quartet was a style of chamber jazz. Very 'polite' and listenable. I'll re-listen, but I seem to recall the jazz is more based in 'bop' phrasing and texture than swing.

The George Shearing stuff is also very polite, but mostly based on bop things not on swing. I'm trying to stear toward swing musical stylings.

GemZombie

#21 Post by GemZombie » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:56 pm

Yakov wrote:the original Kansas City 5, 6, 7

Can someone direct me to the Lionel Hampton 30's small groups? I can't find it.
I have an album I can't seem to find on AllMusic called "The Jumpin' Jive - The All Star Groups 1937-1939". Lots of good Hampton combo work on that one.
Last edited by GemZombie on Wed Jan 19, 2005 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CafeSavoy

#22 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:59 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:The early Modern Jazz Quartet recordings will probably qualify too, after all, they are the definition of polite jazz.
You bring up a very good point. The Modern Jazz Quartet was a style of chamber jazz. Very 'polite' and listenable. I'll re-listen, but I seem to recall the jazz is more based in 'bop' phrasing and texture than swing.

The George Shearing stuff is also very polite, but mostly based on bop things not on swing. I'm trying to stear toward swing musical stylings.
The first MJQ recording would probably be the most useful for your purposes, http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... rx282r052a

I agree that much of Shearing is more bop although some of his work with vocalists is more swinging. Among others i know he recorded with Dakota Staton and Ernestine Anderson; I think some of the tracks were instrumentals. If you wanted to include him, some suggestions would be his 1952 version of "Lullaby of Birdland", his 1949 "September in the Rain", and his 1962 "Makin' Whopee" [and not only because it was the last recording of Israel Crosby].

I don't know if anyone has mentioned the small groups of Art Tatum, Slam Stewart, and Cozy Cole.

Yakov

#23 Post by Yakov » Wed Jan 19, 2005 8:57 pm

Erroll Garner?

Jerry_Jelinek

#24 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Fri Jan 21, 2005 10:22 am

Yakov wrote:Erroll Garner?
Very interesting idea. I'm certain some of his I can use.

BTW - how many of you have checked out this DVD?

If your an Erroll Garner fan, you MUST get this. Amazing performances by Erroll. To see him play is something to behold.

Jerry_Jelinek

#25 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:41 am

Another one that I heard this morning on the radio - Art Van Damme. A wonderful accordian player from the 50s and 60s. Has a very distinctive 'polite' style.

How many of you dance to Art Van Damme?