Artie Shaw Re-Creates His Great '38 Band in Stereo - 1968

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:01 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Yanow terms it an "unimaginative recreation".

Huh?

What then is an 'imaginative recreation'?
I think some of those reviewers have a perspective different from those of dancers. Some of what moves them would leave us still standing at the bar ordering another round.
I have a problem with the phrase, "unimaginative recreation".

How can a "recreation" be "imaginative'? Nothing is being creative or created. It's being recreated. Their is nothing imaginative to be done. It's a copy.

He could have said 'uninspired' or 'listless', but they are not. They are spirited.

I really don't know what he was trying to get at. You can't ask for better recreations than the ones on the LP.

Haydn

#17 Post by Haydn » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:11 am

Eyeball wrote:
CafeSavoy wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Yanow terms it an "unimaginative recreation".

Huh?

What then is an 'imaginative recreation'?
I think some of those reviewers have a perspective different from those of dancers. Some of what moves them would leave us still standing at the bar ordering another round.
I have a problem with the phrase, "unimaginative recreation".

How can a "recreation" be "imaginative'? Nothing is being creative or created. It's being recreated. Their is nothing imaginative to be done. It's a copy.

He could have said 'uninspired' or 'listless', but they are not. They are spirited.

I really don't know what he was trying to get at. You can't ask for better recreations than the ones on the LP.
Having listened to the tracks, and knowing some of the originals, I agree.