Artie Shaw track - I Ain't Comin

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Balboa Chris

#16 Post by Balboa Chris » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:57 pm

dancin_hanson wrote:
There's a sample on iTunes HERE

Is that the track you have Chris? Sounds like a rocking live performance.
Yep. That's the one. The clarinet gets pretty shrill at times which when amplified wouldn't be appreciated by a listening crowd. Maybe it's just a case of using a bit of equalization to tame those upper frequencies.

Haydn

Re: Artie Shaw track - I Ain't Comin

#17 Post by Haydn » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:41 am

Balboa Chris wrote:I have a double CD set called Stardust (blue cover) from Delta Music (63015) that has a fabulous track called "I Ain't Comin". The sax playing is so good it makes my spine tingle.
However, the sound quality is a bit distorted and fierce at times, so I was wondering if anyone else knows of a better quality recording.

Thanks
Chris
It looks as though it may be hard to find a better sounding release of that track. You could try the one on iTunes.

If you like live Artie Shaw, there are lots of great sounding live tracks out there from New York in 1938 and 1939 (e.g. Man From Mars).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blue-Room-Cafe- ... B000025VBN

Regarding reducing shrillness on the trebles, if you're on Windows you could try 'Breakaway for Windows' -

http://www.claessonedwards.com/winmore.htm

I have an old iTunes plug-in for the Mac called Volume Logic which certainly reduces treble shrillness, and 'Breakaway for Windows' is available from the same developer (a Mac iTunes version is coming as well).

lipi

#18 Post by lipi » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:22 pm

that blue room/cafe rouge disc looks interesting.

i have the king of the clarinet: 1938-39 set. i recommend it.