Favourite recording of ... Honeysuckle Rose?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:47 pm

kitkat wrote:
Eyeball wrote:Tony Pastor...has just the right sly voice to carry that song like a lot of the stuff he sang with Artie Shaw.
I'll have to check this out. I looooooooooove Tony Pastor's Artie Shaw stuff (haven't found much stuff with him as bandleader that swung excitingly enough to play at a dance).

I wish there were more "sly-voiced" male singers nowadays. There were a lot who sang w/ Jimmie Lunceford & w/ Lionel Hampton bands, too. Seems instead, everybody male who learns to sing jazz trains to sound like a crooner, like Louis, like Fats, or like a modern-style New Orleans singer.
Sly voiced singers are a 'rare breed'. If you cross the line, you can get too cutesy. If you are not sly enough, you sound like that lug Ford Leary who 'sang' with a few good bands.

Tony Pastor - went out on his own after the Shaw band broke up and had some good sides early on on Bluebird. Of course, they have never had a legit re-issue.

Sometime in the 40s, he went over to Columbia. The band is a good one, but it is very 'dance band-y'', rather than Swing band-y. Some of those sides have come out on legit CDs.

So - nostalgia time - the LPs I have that Pastor HRose track on were mail order from the Columbia Musical Treasury Society or something. 2 LPs shoved into one red sleeve, plus a big band vocalists LP in its own sleeve. All for one price.

All of that stuff was totally new to me. Luckily, there was a lot of good struff on there and a number of bland pop things...realy sweet stuff.

They still turn up at swap meets. Down side - fairly echo-y sound. Fake stereo 'enhanced'.....hahahaha....this is all from the mid 60s.
Will big bands ever come back?

Eyeball

#17 Post by Eyeball » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:58 pm

http://tinyurl.com/36gkk3

Link to a sound sample.

http://tinyurl.com/2waz6w

To the CD.

Tony Pastor - Honeysuckle Rose.
Will big bands ever come back?