Will there ever be another?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

#16 Post by julius » Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:59 pm

I seem to recall reading liner notes about some female vocalist once (it might have been Carmen, but I forget) which said that she fell just short of equaling the holy trinity of jazz singers, Sarah, Ella, and Billie. I don't remember why the writer thought that, but I think it had something to do with overly commercial choice of material.

julius

#17 Post by julius » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:02 pm

By the way, here is my capsule summary of the trinity:

Sarah: technique
Ella: joie de vivre
Billie: soul

GemZombie

#18 Post by GemZombie » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:59 pm

julius wrote:By the way, here is my capsule summary of the trinity:

Sarah: technique
Ella: joie de vivre
Billie: soul
That sums it up very well I must say.

djstarr

#19 Post by djstarr » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:36 am

Nando wrote:Yeah, but Ella was no Satch!

And well, I'd include Carmen McRae in that batch of elite jazz singers who make a song their own.
I guess I agree and disagree; while Satchmo was clearly in a realm of his own, when he sang with Ella I think they were both elevated a tad more. I love their duets.

CafeSavoy

#20 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:39 am

julius wrote:I seem to recall reading liner notes about some female vocalist once (it might have been Carmen, but I forget) which said that she fell just short of equaling the holy trinity of jazz singers, Sarah, Ella, and Billie. I don't remember why the writer thought that, but I think it had something to do with overly commercial choice of material.
It might have been Anita O'Day. I know the liner notes to one of her cds compared her to the trinity.

CafeSavoy

#21 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:47 am

djstarr wrote:
Nando wrote:Yeah, but Ella was no Satch!

And well, I'd include Carmen McRae in that batch of elite jazz singers who make a song their own.
I guess I agree and disagree; while Satchmo was clearly in a realm of his own, when he sang with Ella I think they were both elevated a tad more. I love their duets.
I don't think it's fair to compare anyone to Louis Armstrong. There's a reason he's called Pops, he's like the father of swing. Almost every singer and instrumentalist were influenced by him. Even Coleman Hawkins didn't find his sound until he heard Louis.

mousethief

#22 Post by mousethief » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:07 pm

I would have loved to have been there when Louis first played in Henderson's orchestra.

That time and the time the Bechet drove Coleman Hawkins from the club and followed him down the street, still playing.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Lawrence

#23 Post by Lawrence » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:54 am

Watching videos of Ella sing also reveal just how naturally it all came to her. That's one of the main distinctions: too many singers/musicians try to force it instead of mastering it to the point of allowing it to come naturally.

I also agree that Carmen McRae is up there, as well, even though she never enjoyed the same accolades or legendary status.

That said, there will be another Ella in terms of greatness and naturaly mastery of the art of singing, just like there will be "another" Babe Ruth or Michael Jordan, and just like there will be new forms of music that we can't now envision because we are so focused on existing music forms. But his/her greatness would need to be their own, not a mirror of Ella's, making it unlikely that anyone will agree. Also, it will be difficult to compare until their entire career is over because we will inevitably (and unfairly) compare any new singer to the very best of Ella's entire, huge career.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CafeSavoy

#24 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:37 am

Lawrence wrote:Watching videos of Ella sing also reveal just how naturally it all came to her. That's one of the main distinctions: too many singers/musicians try to force it instead of mastering it to the point of allowing it to come naturally.
And part of it was that she was dancer and felt the music in her body. apparently when she won the contest at the Apollo she had intended to compete as a dancer but decided to sing instead after sizing up the competition. there's a brief clip of her dancing on the nat king cole show.

Roy

#25 Post by Roy » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:36 pm

Apparently Ella tried out for Whitey's Lindy Hoppers but did not make it. And said if she had she would have been a dancer and not a singer.