Jeter-Pillars Band

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Soupbone

Jeter-Pillars Band

#1 Post by Soupbone » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:48 pm

Anyone have any recordings or extensive info on this group?

There's a piece on them in the book "Swing Out: Great Negro Dance Bands" (by Gene Fernett). The book indicates the group evolved out of the Alphonso Trent Orchestra, and included at times Harry "Sweets" Edison, Jo Jones, and Walter Page. Fernett says their book was heavy on Sy Oliver arrangements.

I've not been able to find anything out there.
Gary

main_stem

#2 Post by main_stem » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:30 pm

From All Music. With only four sides it's no wonder you can't find anything.

One of the great legendary territory bands, the Jeter-Pillars Orchestra was highly rated (if barely documented) during its prime years. It was co-led by altoist James Jeter and tenor-saxophonist Hayes Pillars. They had been members of Alphonso Trent's big band when it broke up in 1933. The JeterPillars Orchestra took up where Trent had ended. They became the house band at the Club Plantation when it opened in 1934 and used it as their homebase for over a decade. With such sidemen through the years as trumpeter Harry "Sweets" Edison, bassist Jimmy Blanton, drummers Jo Jones, Sid Catlett and Kenny Clarke, guitarist Floyd Smith and tenor-saxophonist Jimmy Forrest, the Jeter-Pillars Orchestra was an important training ground for up-and-coming jazz players. The band toured the Far East in the late 1940's before it finally broke up. The Jeter-Pillars Orchestra only recorded four selections (for Vocalion in 1937) so it is difficult to fully evaluate their music.
"We called it music."
— Eddie Condon

Soupbone

#3 Post by Soupbone » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:22 pm

OH durn.... good catch Kevin. I searched All Music and it didn't come up. Hmmm... maybe I made a typo or something!
Gary

Doug

#4 Post by Doug » Sat May 08, 2004 7:36 am

The Territory Bands 1935-37 has four by Jeter-Pillars

I don't like them (not at all!). But there are some other great songs on this CD including some good Blanche Calloway & Original Yellow Jackets