A Challenge...

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Mr Awesomer

#16 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Dec 19, 2003 1:16 pm

coreyj5 wrote: So are they going to have the Dream Team cd by the next Lindy Binge? :)
That's the rumor. haha
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#17 Post by CafeSavoy » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:30 pm

wheresmygravy wrote:
mousethief wrote:I weep for Dallas...

The late, great Big Al Dupree (not really good for dancing though)

Kalman
Forgive my fellow Dallasite for allowing you to think of Dallas a wasteland for danceable music.

Here are some to be considered:

Sandra Kaye and The James Gilyard Ensemble
- What will I tell my heart

I've played both Sandra Kaye and Big Al. Although i think Big Al has more songs you can play. Granted it's true that they are mostly on the slower end of the spectrum; so danceable but not necessarily for old school lindy.

mousethief

#18 Post by mousethief » Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:39 pm

I generally DJ Sandra Kaye - track 11 - but I has other versions of his tracks, so I favor them. I love his CDs though.

Yeah, Dallas has more people than I mentioned but Jerry is the blues guy, I'm the other guy. I can't talk about stuff I don't own, like Kim Lenz and the Jaguars.

Kalman

Shorty Dave

Re: A Challenge...

#19 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:05 pm

BigCash wrote: So here's the challenge. I'd like to see a list of at least 5 local band's CDs (THAT ARE STILL ALIVE AND PLAYING), that you'd reccomend.
This is my kind of thread! Excuse me while I brag for a moment about the greatest city in the world :)

For Starters:
-Junior Mance Trio - Live at Shanghai Jazz (w/Earl May, Jackie Williams)
-Earl May Quintet - Live at Shanghai Jazz (w/Eddie Locke, Larry Ham, David Glasser, Catherine Russell)
-George Gee - Live from Zurich
-Ron Sunshine - Deluxe
-Wycliffe Gordon - Slidin' Home (w/Wynton, Victor Goines, Eric Reed, and the rest of the usual LCJO suspects)
-Paul Tillotson Love Trio - Funky Good Time (w/Mike Merrit, James Wormworth)
-Harlem Blues and Jazz Band - From Past to Present (w/Al Casey, Ram Ramirez, Eddie Chamblee, Laurel Watson, Eddie Durham, Johnny Blowers...some have unfortunately passed on since the recording...but they are still playing...)
Jane Jarvis[/b] - Sagmo's Song (Benny Powell, Frank Wess, Earl May, Grady Tate, and more)
-John Bunch - NY Swing (w/Jay Leonhart, Bucky Pizzarelli, and more)
-Frank Vignola - Off Broadway (w/Joe Ascione, Frank Wess, Randy Sandke, Sir Roland Hanna, and more)
-Johnny Blowers - And His Giants of Jazz (w/Randy Sandke, Harry Allen, John Bunch, Howard Alden, and more)
-Harry Allen - Allan and Allen (w/Allen Vache and others)
-Monty Alexander - Impressions in Blue (This is his latest NYC trio, but the cd doesn't have many swingin' tunes...they swing hard in person, though!)
-Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra - Live in Swing City (w/Wynton, Wycliffe, Milt Grayson, Joe Temperely, Victor Goines, Rodney Whitaker, Cyrus Chestnut, and many, many more)
-Jerry Vivino Quartet - Live from Shanghai Jazz (w/Lew Soloff, Mike Merrit, James Wormworth

And this is just the top of the list. Of course there are countless others who haven't released a cd (Harlem Renaissance Orchestra), or live in or near NYC but I don't know of their recently released swinging cd with their current local NYC group off the top of my head (Ray Bryant, Frank Wess, Clark Terry, Jimmy Heath, Lew Soloff, Grady Tate, Eric Reed, Randy Sandke, Patience Higgins, Blossom Dearie, Jay Leonhart, Irene Reid, Carrie Smith)

Yay New York City!!!
Last edited by Shorty Dave on Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shorty Dave

#20 Post by Shorty Dave » Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:12 pm

And Dallas, Arlington Jones kicks ass big time! :)

flyingcamel

#21 Post by flyingcamel » Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:04 pm

BigCash wrote:I think it helps raise awareness and appreciation of NEW music. Just look at Barabara Morrison's latest run for one example.
New?! You honestly think her "latest run" has anything to do with swing djs discovering her music? ha! ;)

BigCash

#22 Post by BigCash » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:40 pm

flyingcamel wrote:
BigCash wrote:I think it helps raise awareness and appreciation of NEW music. Just look at Barabara Morrison's latest run for one example.
New?! You honestly think her "latest run" has anything to do with swing djs discovering her music? ha! ;)
DJs no, dancers partially.

If not for dancers, 'Live at the 9:20 Sepcial' would have never happened.
Actively asserting my will upon others since 1970!

CafeSavoy

#23 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:10 pm

mousethief wrote:I generally DJ Sandra Kaye - track 11 - but I has other versions of his tracks, so I favor them. I love his CDs though.
Saying you favor alternative versions of songs is not the same thing as saying his versions are not danceable.

Lindyguy

#24 Post by Lindyguy » Sun Dec 21, 2003 7:48 am

From Minnesota:

My favorite entertaining band is a new one called Steve Clarke & The Working Stiffs. They do a mix of Jazz and Jump Blues. They are about a year old and keep getting better. They just added a chick singer, Maya Marshall, who is on her way to knocking the socks off lots of dancers, because she can sing! They've been recording some live shows but no CD yet. http://workingstiffs.home.comcast.net/

JAZZ
Charmin Michelle - www.charmsongs.com (The BEST!)
Doug Haining & The TC Seven - www.tcseven.com (Play with Charmin all the time! So you get the best with the best quite often!)
Christine Rosholt - www.christinerosholt.com (Very good newcomer)
Kari Shaff - no site (she floats in from different genre's but we hire her for jazz and she's outstanding!)
Vic Volare - Much better than you would think based on his CDs. He's a great performer and does lots of popular charts along with his own stuff. www.vicvolare.net

BLUES
The Senders - www.thesenders.net (The granddaddy band, they've been swingin' for years and years- still outstanding)
Cool Disposition - www.cooldispo.com (lots of harmonica, so ya gotta like that to like this band)

We also have fantastic big bands:

The Wolverines Big Band (not a lot of public appearances but definitely the best in MN.)
Beasley's Big Band (They love Basie and play lots of his charts. Yeah!)
Classic Big Band (Have a Miller fetish but are still an extremely good dance band)
Swing Beat Big Band (Very danceable and have a good chick singer)
and more but these are my top 4.

The Twin Cities is REALLY lucky to have so many good musicians. We try to hire them as often as possible for dances.

Ter
If you have to put fruit in it, it's not beer.