The stuff you don't like

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

julius

#31 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:59 pm

Nando wrote: But the original point was that people would be more likely to clear the floor with a fast song they don't like. If they CAN'T dance to fast songs, they probably won't dance to them whether they like them or not.
Lawrence wrote: 2) how playing a vintage song can sometimes COMPLETELY DESTROY the vibe at a dance if it is not worked in appropriately.
I don't see any mention of quality of the song there. Just inappropriateness. I'm wondering what defines inappropriate? Apparently, it means "destroying the vibe". Well, what does that mean? I'm interested in exploring the concept of how to kill a dance, and why you (generic you) think it kills the dance.
Nando wrote: I'm just saying that people generally won't dance to music they don't like. They may not be as opinionated as some of the DJs on these boards regarding musical tastes (me included,) but give them a little more credit for knowing a good song when they hear it, regardless of tempo.
There is a difference between liking a song and knowing that it is good or bad. I like many, many bad songs. I wouldn't want to dance to them. There are many, many good songs I wouldn't want to dance to either. Which, in a way, brings us around to the point of the whole thread.

julius

#32 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:02 pm

Nando wrote: Yeah, but if you want to go to an extreme - it would be easier to play a metronome under 180 at a venue than to DJ fast music. I mean that falls under what's being said. The crowd won't like it, but they'll probably dance because it's in their comfort zone. They just won't be happy about it. The floor would be filled with unhappy people dancing to a device that mimics a windshield wiper on a moderate speed.
Yes, my opinions are, actually, endorsed by Artie Shaw.

Nando

#33 Post by Nando » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:27 pm

julius wrote:
Nando wrote: But the original point was that people would be more likely to clear the floor with a fast song they don't like. If they CAN'T dance to fast songs, they probably won't dance to them whether they like them or not.
Lawrence wrote: 2) how playing a vintage song can sometimes COMPLETELY DESTROY the vibe at a dance if it is not worked in appropriately.
I don't see any mention of quality of the song there. Just inappropriateness.
My statements were referring to your original comment below.
julius wrote:Here's the rub. When a slow song comes on that people don't like, they will probably dance to it anyway. When a faster song comes on that people don't like, they will probably NOT dance to it, because they CAN'T.
I'm not going to get into Lawrence's comment, but I do have a question regarding it. Does "vintage song" always mean fast? It doesn't make the comment more clear, but perhaps changes the argument a little.

Mr Awesomer

#34 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:36 pm

Nando wrote:I'm not going to get into Lawrence's comment, but I do have a question regarding it. Does "vintage song" always mean fast? It doesn't make the comment more clear, but perhaps changes the argument a little.
While I don't know nor care what Lawrence intended it to mean, the true answer is a resounding NO!
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Lawrence

#35 Post by Lawrence » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:59 pm

(Although I do think Reuben should take more care as a moderator to not step up the level of personal attacks on this board, I shouldn't have taken the bait and stepped it up even more. So I edited out the unnecessary and flippant personal attack on him, and apologize for making it. - L.P.)
Last edited by Lawrence on Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lawrence

#36 Post by Lawrence » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:11 pm

Nando wrote:I'm not going to get into Lawrence's comment, but I do have a question regarding it. Does "vintage song" always mean fast? It doesn't make the comment more clear, but perhaps changes the argument a little.
As noted by the very quotes you used, I wasn't the one to make the jump from "vintage" to "fast." I simply am noting that even the mere difference in sound quality (and sometimes style) can hurt, diminish or ruin a vibe. It's not unrecoverable or unpardonable or inevitable; it's just something to pay attention to.

That's why I wrote "can sometimes" kill a vibe, which I suspect some people read as "will always" so as to exaggerate the debate or plunge it into another debate. My experience is that playing a vintage song (a GOOD vintage song) is the most common way to kill a vibe. It doesn't always happen, but it does often enough to note it.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#37 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:32 pm

I'm funny looking? Reference Lawerence

I'm hump backed? Um, okay, if you say so, but that's pretty random.

And twig boy I've never taken offense to, so you can call me that all ya like. And as Johnathan Bixby once said "Listen honey, he's tall, he's skinny and he's got big feet. Do the math baby."
Lawrence wrote:post an off-topic flame that steps the inappropriateness up one more notch in an effort to provoke even MORE off-topic posts.
Thank you for stepping it up by moving on to attempted insults of personal appearance. I have no need to go there, but from the looks of things you best not tempt me to.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Soma-Guy

#38 Post by Soma-Guy » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:18 pm

Lawrence wrote:2) how playing a vintage song can sometimes COMPLETELY DESTROY the vibe at a dance if it is not worked in appropriately.
Man if that's even close to representative of what Austin's D.J's think about music in general then I am going to stay as far away from there as I possibly can! As has already been kinda said it's not the category of music that COMPLETELY DESTROY'S a vibe it's the D.J. It's the ability of the D.J to mix it all together that makes a night work or COMPLETELY DESTROY'S it. You talk about being open minded but, I'm sorry dude, it's just not coming through in your posts.

Nate Dogg

#39 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:24 pm

Soma-Guy wrote:
Lawrence wrote:2) how playing a vintage song can sometimes COMPLETELY DESTROY the vibe at a dance if it is not worked in appropriately.
Man if that's even close to representative of what Austin's D.J's think about music in general then I am going to stay as far away from there as I possibly can! As has already been kinda said it's not the category of music that COMPLETELY DESTROY'S a vibe it's the D.J. It's the ability of the D.J to mix it all together that makes a night work or COMPLETELY DESTROY'S it. You talk about being open minded but, I'm sorry dude, it's just not coming through in your posts.
Folks, leave Austin out of this. Lawrence opinions and statements are his own. Matt Jones, George, myself, Jeramie, Colin, Scott, et al have nothing to do with this fight.

julius

#40 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:33 pm

Why? Everything Reuben says is what all LA dancers think.

*throws fuel on the fire*

Soma-Guy

#41 Post by Soma-Guy » Thu Dec 04, 2003 4:55 pm

Nate Dogg wrote: Folks, leave Austin out of this. Lawrence opinions and statements are his own. Matt Jones, George, myself, Jeramie, Colin, Scott, et al have nothing to do with this fight.
Fair enough!

gatorgal

#42 Post by gatorgal » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:40 pm

You know, Reuben and Lawrence, if I put you two in a cage or something will you fight it out like boys and get this over with? :) It's starting to get old.

Just the thoughts of a neutral observer who did enjoy reading the spirited debate.

Tina 8)

Mr Awesomer

#43 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:45 pm

My apologies... it's just too easy sometimes. I usually resist... imagine if I went after them all, haha.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

julius

#44 Post by julius » Thu Dec 04, 2003 6:31 pm

GuruReuben wrote:My apologies... it's just too easy sometimes. I usually resist... imagine if I went after them all, haha.
I remember 1998-2001 all too well, thanks.

Swifty

#45 Post by Swifty » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:07 pm

Last edited by Swifty on Fri Dec 05, 2003 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.