Mosaic 235: Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

kitkat

#16 Post by kitkat » Tue May 29, 2007 5:17 am

KitKat wrote:Does it have a standardized serial number? I'm trying to find out if any libraries are carrying it. I believe for CD sets the serial number I'm looking for is an ASIN, but I'm not sure of that.
Bump!

trev

#17 Post by trev » Wed May 30, 2007 5:15 am

As with the Chu set, there is nothing listed as an AISN, but there are serial numbers on each disc:

MD7-235
A 704146 to A 704149 (different number per case)

and
A 27821 to A 27827 (different number per disc)

I hope that helps.

kitkat

#18 Post by kitkat » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:46 am

I had the opportunity to check out Mosaic 235: Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions this weekend.

I pulled out my 40-disc box set by History (The Duke: Edward Kennedy Ellington and His Orchestra) & did a side-by-side comparison.

What you get w/ Mosaic over History is:
1) Improved sound quality
2) Lots of alternate takes (History only included 1/session)
3) About 17 songs History missed (October 14, 1939-February 15, 1940)

History's city labels conflict w/ Mosaic's on both sides of the missing 17...that might explain why they couldn't find those 17.

I was surprised at the irritating sound quality on the early tracks of the Mosaic set! I know they're careful, and I can tell from all the static that they really turned things up to make sure you can hear the band (even if you have to hear the static, too). I haven't listened to my other CDs of these same songs, yet, and I'm sure Mosaic will win. I think it means Duke got pretty lousy recording sessions in the first place. :(

Anyway, that's my little contribution to the thread...overall, I'm having a fabulous weekend listening & dancing around the house!

dogpossum

#19 Post by dogpossum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:38 am

kitkat wrote:I had the opportunity to check out Mosaic 235: Duke Ellington 1936-1940 Small Group Sessions this weekend.

I pulled out my 40-disc box set by History (The Duke: Edward Kennedy Ellington and His Orchestra) & did a side-by-side comparison.

What you get w/ Mosaic over History is:
1) Improved sound quality
2) Lots of alternate takes (History only included 1/session)
3) About 17 songs History missed (October 14, 1939-February 15, 1940)

History's city labels conflict w/ Mosaic's on both sides of the missing 17...that might explain why they couldn't find those 17.

I was surprised at the irritating sound quality on the early tracks of the Mosaic set! I know they're careful, and I can tell from all the static that they really turned things up to make sure you can hear the band (even if you have to hear the static, too). I haven't listened to my other CDs of these same songs, yet, and I'm sure Mosaic will win. I think it means Duke got pretty lousy recording sessions in the first place. :(

Anyway, that's my little contribution to the thread...overall, I'm having a fabulous weekend listening & dancing around the house!

I've been wondering if my Bluebird Ellington small group CDs were better quality than the Mosaic... But my hearing is getting rubbisher and rubbisher. I blame live music.