Songs for teaching / beginners classes

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Toon Town Dave

#91 Post by Toon Town Dave » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Fair enough. In line with that idea, the music in the context of dance lessons is for social dancing, not swing dancing or Lindy Hop. There's an obvious source of disagreement.

My (perhaps incorrect) assumption from the original post is the topic is about music recommendations for swing dancing lessons, in particular Lindy Hop lessons. Perhaps to mr. e, original poster could clarify if that is the case.

Straycat, it's great that we've got you thinking about the goals and priorities of your scene. Even if you decide that neo-swing and should play a part, making it an accepted strategy will help keep all the teachers, organizers and other leadership figures working to a common goal. That is what ultimately will lead to a successful scene, whatever it may look like.

Eyeball

#92 Post by Eyeball » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:06 pm

You know - it would be great if we knew on here who is a "Swing DJ" and who is a DJ that (sometimes/often) plays Swing music in addition to other music....or in my case neither at present.

Maybe under the avatar.

It would help clarify where people's heads are at and also help generate better advice for both the hardcore and softcore Swing men and women.

If I know someone wants some...ummmm...more casual big band recordings that perhaps are not as hardcore, but are still 'worthy'...then I will know.

It's all good and only helps spread the gospel.

(Don't play Gospel, softcores!)
Will big bands ever come back?

Mr Awesomer

#93 Post by Mr Awesomer » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:06 pm

Eyeball wrote:And it is the difference between DJs who play Swing music and "Swing DJs".
I'd say a "Swing DJ" is one who plays Swing music. Otherwise they are not a "Swing DJ."

Not to say that at another time you are something other then a Swing DJ... much like I can go out Lindy Hopping tonight at some dance studio, but then get my stank on tomorrow night at a club.
Last edited by Mr Awesomer on Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Eyeball

#94 Post by Eyeball » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:07 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote:
Eyeball wrote:And it is the difference between DJs who play Swing music and "Swing DJs".
I'd say a "Swing DJ" is one who plays Swing music. Otherwise they are not a "Swing DJ."
I agree.

Surreal

#95 Post by Surreal » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:26 pm

I think if I were to call myself a swing dj some of you might feel insulted, so I'm staying out of that bucket.

I like swing music, I play swing music, I teach with it, and I believe the music and dance are fundamentally and historically connected. I do not however believe that they must be married to such a point that the dance is restricted to the music.

That said, I'm going to get back on topic so here's another teaching list of mine:
Please Don't Drive Me Away - Sam Cooke
I let a song go out of my heart - Duke Ellington
Frim Fram Sauce - Louis & Ella
Tuxedo Junction - Manhattan Transfer
Is you is or is you ain't my baby - Dinah Washington
Knock me a kiss - Louis Jordan
My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
Gimme a pigfoot - LaVern Baker
Mister 5x5 - Jonathan Stout
Would you like to swing on a star - Frank Sinatra
How about you? - Boilermaker Jazz Band
Miser's Serenade - Chris Connor
Shout, Sister, Shout! - Lucky Millinder
What is this thing called love - Ella
Tippin in - Erskine Hawkins
We the cats shall help you - Cab Calloway
Sent for you yesterday - Count Basie
Straighten up and fly right - Natalie Cole
Beat me daddy, eight to the bar - Andrews Sisters
Oh, Lady be good - Albert Ammons
Lipstick, Powder and Paint - Big Joe Turner

What do people think of using songs with recognizable lyrics where people start singing along? "Is you is..." and "swing on a star" seem to be popular in my classes, though not unexpectedly it has mixed results. Singing helps some stay on their feet, and others just get distracted.

fredo

#96 Post by fredo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:49 pm

I feel like lyrics gotta be really steady and clear to stay benign in a beginner class. So for example, I stay away from Billie Holiday tunes because she's usually playing with and stretching the beat.

In general though I want the music to be about a solid swingin' beat with clear rhythms. I don't want to rely on catchy lyrics to help me with teaching them the basics because I think the rhythms are more important in the beginning.

The lyrics may be fun and familiar, but I'd rather let the instructors be the voices of the class and let the cheesiness and familiarity come from them. I also like to have the students scat rhythms while we work on repetition, and lyrics can just get in the way of that. One of the harder things for new dancers is learning to hear the music behind the lyrics. Our modern listening ears have grown accustomed to lead vocals in popular music, so instrumental based recordings can be a new experience for some people.

Then again, I tend to be picky about what vocalists I like and don't play them as much unless I really like the recording.

Matt

#97 Post by Matt » Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:39 am

I probably have an advantage over many teachers in that once students sign up for my university social dance class, they don't really have a choice whether they want to stay, and I have them for 3 months. At least half of those three months is focused on swing dancing. This quarter, I tried something new and used the first day of class to get my students "used to" swing music. Knowing that most of them had probably never heard a real swing song in their life, i sat them all down and we listened to a couple of songs. I explained what a beat was, and how to listen to it/find it, how to the music moves around 8s, and how to listen for the beginnings of phrases. After spending a day doing that, I haven't had much trouble with students either not understanding the music or disliking it.

Of course, most teachers can't afford to take a whole day to do this, and I know that, but in my teaching, I've found that addressing any assumptions you the teacher might have about the starting knowledge of your students can make a world of difference, especially when it comes to the music.

As for a playlist, I believe the playlist I threw together for that class included:

Beaver Junction - Count Basie
Loose Wig - Lionel Hampton
Look-a-there - Slim and Slam
Afternoon at a Moax - Charlie Barnet

Haydn

#98 Post by Haydn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:14 pm

Surreal wrote:here's another teaching list of mine:

Please Don't Drive Me Away - Sam Cooke
I let a song go out of my heart - Duke Ellington
Frim Fram Sauce - Louis & Ella
Tuxedo Junction - Manhattan Transfer
Is you is or is you ain't my baby - Dinah Washington
Knock me a kiss - Louis Jordan
My Baby Just Cares For Me - Nina Simone
Gimme a pigfoot - LaVern Baker
Mister 5x5 - Jonathan Stout
Would you like to swing on a star - Frank Sinatra
How about you? - Boilermaker Jazz Band
Miser's Serenade - Chris Connor
Shout, Sister, Shout! - Lucky Millinder
What is this thing called love - Ella
Tippin in - Erskine Hawkins
We the cats shall help you - Cab Calloway
Sent for you yesterday - Count Basie
Straighten up and fly right - Natalie Cole
Beat me daddy, eight to the bar - Andrews Sisters
Oh, Lady be good - Albert Ammons
Lipstick, Powder and Paint - Big Joe Turner

What do people think of using songs with recognizable lyrics where people start singing along? "Is you is..." and "swing on a star" seem to be popular in my classes, though not unexpectedly it has mixed results. Singing helps some stay on their feet, and others just get distracted.
I think it's a great idea to get people to sing along. It helps to connect them with the music, and helps them remember the music after the lesson. I would say it's probably better to use songs with the lyrics don't stray too far from the beat. 'Shout Sister Shout' is a good one. Some experienced dancers get pretty sick of it. I've heard it used for teaching all over the place, and remember it was used when I started five years ago. The fact that it's used consistently for teaching suggests it's a good one for that job. The beat is nice and clear, and the syncopated lyrics don't stray too far from the beat, and don't distract from it.

"Shout <CLAP> Sis-ter <CLAP>~Shout

de Der-de der-de der-de"

... and the fact that this is repeated three times is good for beginners too.

"Is you is or is you ain't my baby" by Dinah Washington is a great song but I'm not sure it's as suitable for teaching beginners because the melody is much more subtle and doesn't follow the beat. So if you sing along with the melody you might find it harder to stay with the beat - which can be a problem for leaders I think.