The Wolverines Big Band

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

The Wolverines Big Band

#1 Post by falty411 » Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:22 pm

this is a local Minneapolis band and I wanted you guys to get a sample of what they do, so i have asked them and am able to ut one of their whole albums up for DL.

This CD does not do them justice as they are probaly the second best (next to lincoln center) big band that I have heard live.

Please feel free to post what you think here.

thanks

http://www.minnesotalindy.com/_audio/
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

funkyfreak

#2 Post by funkyfreak » Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:51 pm

Bummer, my computer dislikes Windows Media format.

-FF

Swifty

#3 Post by Swifty » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:34 pm

Ah, when I read the thread title I thought you were talking about this Wolverines Big Band.

JesseMiner

#4 Post by JesseMiner » Mon Jun 23, 2003 8:36 pm

Thanks for posting this. I always regretted never getting to see The Wolverines live while I was living in Minneapolis. Terry from the Land O' Loons Lindy Hoppers always swore they were the best local band to dance to.

I downloaded all of the tracks, and they sound great. So do you have any information for us to go about buying CDs from them? :)

Jesse

Drew

#5 Post by Drew » Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:29 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Thanks for posting this. I always regretted never getting to see The Wolverines live while I was living in Minneapolis. Terry from the Land O' Loons Lindy Hoppers always swore they were the best local band to dance to.

I downloaded all of the tracks, and they sound great. So do you have any information for us to go about buying CDs from them? :)

Jesse
Yes indeed. The Wolverines are amazing. I see their trio weekly and have seen their big band once. I wish Terry would get these guys instead of Roseville or Just Friends.

SirScratchAlot

#6 Post by SirScratchAlot » Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:54 am

Yea, I hate Judging a Band by it's CD....I got The wolverines CD a few years ago at pawn shop and it's not very good...I mean I would not ever use it to Spin...

However, they are an Outfit that has been around a Long time and as you said, I'm sure they are awesome Live....
\\\"Jazz Musicians have dance in them, and Jazz dancers have music in them, or Jazz doesn''''t happen.\\\" Sidney Bechet

falty411

#7 Post by falty411 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:12 am

which cd did you get peter?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Lawrence

#8 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:02 pm

SirScratchAlot wrote:Yea, I hate Judging a Band by it's CD....I got The wolverines CD a few years ago at pawn shop and it's not very good...I mean I would not ever use it to Spin......
No offense, Mike, but I agree with Peter and then some. :!: I bought their 1991 "In the Mood" CD 7 years ago or so in a bargain bin and felt like *I* should have been paid in order to take the CD. :cry: :x I just listened to it, again, and the CD makes them the prototype example of why many people turn exclusively to vintage recordings in order to get good big band music. Just lifeless.

But that would not be the first band to be good live and lame on CD. (Hot Foot Club; Felix and all the Cats (NYC)). They also certainly could have developed since then.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#9 Post by falty411 » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:08 pm

no offense taken

what did you think of the tracks i have posted?

I was told by the drummer of the band that their CDs sucked and to not get any. but i still bought the one i did and I didnt htink it was too bad as far as recreating some of the sounds of the past.
-mikey faltesek

Mr Awesomer

#10 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:42 pm

They sound like the 15 or so 80 year old white dudes who gather at the local Lodge.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

kitkat

#11 Post by kitkat » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:32 am

I saw them Sunday, and honestly, I thought they swung harder than the California bands I've heard.

Jerry_Jelinek

Re: The Wolverines Big Band

#12 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:00 am

falty411 wrote:This CD does not do them justice as they are probaly the second best (next to lincoln center) big band that I have heard live.
Thanks for the link. I'm going to try and check that out this weekend.

As far as live big band jazz - the current Count Basie band under Bill Hughes is FANTASTIC. I've heard the Lincoln Center Orch twice live in the last 4 years. I've heard the Basie big band maybe 4 or 5 times. To my taste, the Basie Band is a harder swing group.