"Jazz Heritage" Label?

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Travis

"Jazz Heritage" Label?

#1 Post by Travis » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:00 pm

I recently purchased Ella Fitzgerald's "The Early Years - Part 2" from an Amazon.com private seller. I received the discs (it's a two-disc set) in the mail today and was a little surprised at what I got. These are supposed to be Decca recordings put out by the GRP label (I'm sure you all own or have at least seen these). Instead, I received two discs with a Jazz Heritage label stamped on each disc and liner notes that look like a high-quality copy of the GRP notes with the Jazz Heritage logo appearing where the GRP logo usually is. The track listings are identical and, after listening to a few tracks, the sound quality seems good.

I did a search for Jazz Heritage and found this website www.jazzheritage.com. Looks to me like they sell knockoffs at discounted prices.

Granted I only paid $7.95 for this but I feel a bit duped and am thinking of asking for a refund.

Has anyone ever purchased a Jazz Heritage CD? Do you think I'd be wrong in asking for a refund?

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:24 pm

According to the BBB, they have a clean record (yeah, yeah).

It looks a lot like BMG - direct copies, master ownership rights - but that's just a quick look at the website.

Did you get it from Jazz Heritage directly or from a 3rd party? Was it advertised as "Decca" or "same recordings as Decca?" I would like to know for my own searches on Ebay.

Thanks,

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Travis

#3 Post by Travis » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:26 pm

I bought it through an Amazon.com reseller. The basic description on Amazon's page is as follows:

http://www.amazon.com...&v=glance#product-details

Funny that Amazon lists the label as Verve.

I don't think the seller's description mentioned anything other than the set being in "Like New" condition.

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:10 am

That sucks.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

kitkat

#5 Post by kitkat » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:14 am

Hee hee hee...I'm going to have to return a single disc I bought for $8.99. The vendor listed it under the 4-disc Goodman/Miller/Herman/Dorsey box set w/ the fast "Well Git It!" on it, but all I got was a sort of "best of swing" 1-disc mix of Goodman & Dorsey. :evil:

I also tried to buy the 40-disc Cradle of Jazz for $13, but the seller told me in advance that he'd mislisted it.

jeffjazz

#6 Post by jeffjazz » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:38 pm

Hello everyone! Jazz Heritage Society either directly licenses the recordings from labels or buys finished product from them.

When we license product, the labels supply us with materials so we manufacture direct from their film and masters. Some older CDs do not have their materials available so we copy the artwork and liner notes in-house. The CDs you buy from Jazz Heritage are nearly identical to the ones put out by the labels... except for the price. :lol:

You will notice no difference in sound.

Jeff Mahajan
Jazz Heritage Society

Eyeball

#7 Post by Eyeball » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:56 pm

I used to buy stuff from the JHS and their classical division as well. Nicve stuff and I never had a problem.

Are you still doing those B&W covers?

jeffjazz

#8 Post by jeffjazz » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:58 am

Eyeball wrote:I used to buy stuff from the JHS and their classical division as well. Nicve stuff and I never had a problem.

Are you still doing those B&W covers?
NOPE! we use 4 color now. that's what the labels prefer.

Eyeball

#9 Post by Eyeball » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:42 am

Timely!!!!!

Hahahahaha....:)
Will big bands ever come back?