Don Redman

Everything about the swinging music we love to DJ

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

falty411

Don Redman

#1 Post by falty411 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:22 pm

Does anyone else feel that Don Redman's role in helping to create big band swing is seriously under appreciated?

All of Don Redman's bands swing REALLY hard and were really well put together. Whether it be his stuff with Mckinney's, his own bands that he lead, or the work he did with Fletcher Henderson (whos band brought big band swing to a white audience at the Roseland Ballroom)
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

AlekseyKosygin
Location: Jersey, Home of the Lion, the Lamb and the Brute...

#2 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:24 pm

DEF, him and Horace Henderson seriously deserve more recognition than they've received...

i love his voice, the way he talks very lightly as he 'sings'...

His early 30's stuff is amazing...

sonofvu

#3 Post by sonofvu » Wed Mar 31, 2004 3:27 pm

I totally agree. I guess the problem is that his best stuff is that early scrathy stuff that most dancers don't like. I've been trying for months to work his stuff into my sets but the opportunities have been few and far between.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Bob the Builder

#4 Post by Bob the Builder » Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:00 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:DEF, him and Horace Henderson seriously deserve more recognition than they've received...
If it wasn't for Horace going behind his brothers back and selling his arrangements to Chick Webb, Chick might not have had some of those great charts.

Don is very cool. I've been looking out for some good albums.

Brian[/quote]

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:57 pm

CLICK HERE

All the greatness of Don Redman compositions with great sound quality. Lots of good slower to midslow tempo tunes.

Check it out, although some of it is a little sweet
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:30 am

falty411 wrote:CLICK HERE

All the greatness of Don Redman compositions with great sound quality. Lots of good slower to midslow tempo tunes.

Check it out, although some of it is a little sweet
cool. i've been wondering about that, but wasn't sure how it sounded.

sonofvu, the recording quality on the bluebird release _McKinney's Cotton Pickers, The Band That Don Redman Built_ isn't bad. And pretty amazing personnel too.

AlekseyKosygin

#7 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:34 am

Don Redman Yes.

Hammond Organ No.

falty411

#8 Post by falty411 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:07 pm

AlekseyKosygin wrote:Don Redman Yes.

Hammond Organ No.
the organ tracks blow. but the other stuff, while not up to par with his big band arrangements are quite nice and mellow. Very well arranged. Good slower tempo songs.
-mikey faltesek

JSAlmonte

#9 Post by JSAlmonte » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:11 pm

If you want a really in depth analysis of Redman's contribution to Fletcher Henderson's band, check out the new Fletcher Henderson biography, The Uncrowned King of Swing: Fletcher Henderson and Big Band Jazz

jerry

Bob the Builder

#10 Post by Bob the Builder » Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:54 pm

I read recently that Louis Armstrong had a huge influence on Don Redman when Armstrong joined the Fletcher Henderson band.
Louis basically thought the band how to swing, and in this Redman learned how to start to arrange to what started to become the basis of Big Band Swing.

Brian :D

AlekseyKosygin

#11 Post by AlekseyKosygin » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:01 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:I read recently that Louis Armstrong had a huge influence on Don Redman when Armstrong joined the Fletcher Henderson band.
Louis basically thought the band how to swing, and in this Redman learned how to start to arrange to what started to become the basis of Big Band Swing.

Brian :D
Yup, I was also surprised to find out that afterwards Don also played (alto sax) on some of Louis's Hot Fives/Hot Sevens gigs (which only goes to show what an accomplished session musician he had become)...that could only probably help influence him further...

Alex