www.swingdjs.com

www.swingdjs.com
It is currently Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:06 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW6NBf9byiI
Can anyone help me identify this song? I ripped about a minute of it from video that was 4 hours long.
Thanks in advance.

While I am here, does anyone know where I can buy a song by Jimmie Lunceford called "The Goon Came On"?
The Complete Jimmie Lunceford Decca Sessions is the only album I see it on. It is a 6 or 7 CD set. I am trying not to pay so much since I already have majority of the songs on the set. Thanks Again!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:12 pm 

Just getting it in under the wire, aren't you? :)

A source for that first song would be helpful. Off hand, I don't recognize the lyrics. It reminds me a lot of Tuxedo Junction in feel, but I didn't sit down to see whether the chords match. The vocalist has listened to Dizzy Gillespie and Joe Carroll. Was this a local band? A webcast of some sort?

As to "The Goon...", let me start by irritating you and ignoring what you said: you should absolutely get the Mosaic Lunceford set, because it's brilliant. The remastering is lovely, the booklet is interesting, etc. etc. OK, that out of the way: I know of no other CD sources, but I didn't really search (did you look on Amazon? Allmusic? iTunes? Google Music?! In Lords?).

The recording you want (on the Decca Mosaic) is from a World Transcription session in NYC on February 8th 1944. Its World Transcription ID is WT 6272. There appear to be at least three LP releases that have it:
Circle CLP-92, Privateer 103, JRC C1433

There's another recording that's been issued, but only on 78 or LP to my knowledge. This one is part of a broadcast from Hollywood on June 26th 1944. At least two LPs have it: Joyce 5006, Connoisseur Rarities CR521.

(There's a third recording, too, according to my discography, but it's not been issued as far as I can tell.)

You can find details on the LPs on discogs.com.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:03 am 

Here is the video. Song starts at 1:59:02. https://youtu.be/xNrSRb6eh4U?t=7142

Thanks for all the work you did on the Jimmie Lunceford song.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]