www.swingdjs.com

www.swingdjs.com
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Copyright issues
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:04 am 

I'm trying to help a researcher find suitable swing tracks for dancers that are free from copyright issues.

So far I'm not doing so well - the researcher's main criterion is that the author of a tune died over seventy years ago. Fats Waller seemed like a good candidate, given that he was such a prolific author, but I'm told that a number of songs which I'd thought were by him (E.G. All that Meat) have other people on the authoring credits.

Can anyone point me to a good source of information for this? And maybe someone who's already been down that road might be able to help out?

Last edited by straycat on Sat May 12, 2018 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Copyright issues
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am 

I suggest contacting Jeff Kaufman, the producer of that Chick Webb documentary that was completed a few years ago and has still only been shown, like, twice. (I'm not annoyed.)

https://thesavoykingdocumentary.com/
(Oh! Hell! You can buy DVDs now! (I can't tell whether only if you live in California or what...luckily, I do.))

If you need Jeff's email address, PM me. I think I have it somewhere.

Aside: The adding of authors to works was extremely common. Music publishers just stuck themselves on there a lot, and managers sometimes even had contracts to that effect (see for instance Ellington & Mills).

Further aside: I assume this is for the EU or the UK (may you be cursed for leaving, you fools), where the standard term is life + 70. The US has work + 70, which is probably just more of a hassle to work out. :p

Even further aside: "criterion" is singular; "criteria" are plural. I know, no one cares.

Post subject: Re: Copyright issues
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 2:33 am 

lipi wrote:
I suggest contacting Jeff Kaufman, the producer of that Chick Webb documentary that was completed a few years ago and has still only been shown, like, twice. (I'm not annoyed.)

https://thesavoykingdocumentary.com/
(Oh! Hell! You can buy DVDs now! (I can't tell whether only if you live in California or what...luckily, I do.))

You can get it from anywhere - I'm in the UK, and mine arrived a few months ago.

lipi wrote:
If you need Jeff's email address, PM me. I think I have it somewhere.

Thanks - I've exchanged messages with him before, so it seems like I've got it.
lipi wrote:
Aside: The adding of authors to works was extremely common. Music publishers just stuck themselves on there a lot, and managers sometimes even had contracts to that effect (see for instance Ellington & Mills).

Yeah - I assumed it was something like that. Sadly, what matters in this case is the fact that their name is on the credit - not that they actually had anything to do with writing the song. Mutter. Mutter. Mutter.
lipi wrote:
Further aside: I assume this is for the EU or the UK (may you be cursed for leaving, you fools), where the standard term is life + 70. The US has work + 70, which is probably just more of a hassle to work out. :p

Let's not get into the whole remain / leave politics thing in this forum - this is a very complicated case. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's.

We just seem to have an incredible number of ignorant gullible imbeciles in this country. Some of whom are my friends :cry:. Moving on...
lipi wrote:
Even further aside: "criterion" is singular; "criteria" are plural. I know, no one cares.

Oops. Mea culpa. Fixed.