Tables for playlists

How does this discussion board work?

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Downeastdancer

Tables for playlists

#1 Post by Downeastdancer » Fri Nov 22, 2002 7:23 am

Jesse, is there/could there be a feature on this board where we can upload song playlists? Ideally, IMO, it would have 5 columns (song, artist, album, time, bpm - with all but the song optional -) and could be filled by any number of spreadsheet programs (e.g. Access, Excel, QuattroPro, and various Apple spreadsheets). If the original files would need to be converted to something like rtf, that would be ok as long as the instructions were clear for us mere mortals. Then these lists could be archived.
"Take A Train!"

kbuxton

#2 Post by kbuxton » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:01 pm

Cool idea. I second this one.

lindyholic

#3 Post by lindyholic » Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:20 pm

I like that idea too...I third it :)

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

GemZombie

Re: Tables for playlists

#4 Post by GemZombie » Fri Nov 22, 2002 4:13 pm

Downeastdancer wrote:Jesse, is there/could there be a feature on this board where we can upload song playlists? Ideally, IMO, it would have 5 columns (song, artist, album, time, bpm - with all but the song optional -) and could be filled by any number of spreadsheet programs (e.g. Access, Excel, QuattroPro, and various Apple spreadsheets). If the original files would need to be converted to something like rtf, that would be ok as long as the instructions were clear for us mere mortals. Then these lists could be archived.
I export mine as html, which could easily just be pasted here... of course I use BPM Studio.

As long as you turn html viewing on (a profile option), that'll work just fine.

Toon Town Dave

#5 Post by Toon Town Dave » Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:05 am

Yeah, it's not too hard to export HTML from most stuff. I'm not sure if phpBB is happy with tables as input. It only allows a little bit of HTML, not everything and tables may not be allowed.

Quick question, when uploading lists, what would be the purpose; for a discussion purposes or as reference material. I'm wondering if something like a wiki (effectively a web page that a group or people can colaberate and edit) might be better suited.

Downeastdancer

#6 Post by Downeastdancer » Mon Nov 25, 2002 6:53 am

[Quick question, when uploading lists, what would be the purpose; for a discussion purposes or as reference material. ]

My thought was, we could have tables where individuals could post their playlists under topic headings of their choice. For example, this waltz list thing that's developing. I have a bunch of waltzes under different style categories (pop, Celtic, jazz, etc.) I would upload the following table columns: song, artist, album, time, bpm, and brief comment which would be the style note. I would likely group the entries by album, then song, before uploading. There would be an additional column with "posted by" that the system would automatically add. Then, anyone could add any of their waltzes to the same table. The table would be located in some archive that could be accessed by a "playlists" button on the home page, and it would be titled "waltzes". Other playlists could be, for example, "top 20 albums", or "Halloween", or "shimshams" ... you get the idea.... whatever lists we want to post, and any subscriber could take the initiative to start a list. Discussion of the lists would take place in the regular forum. Ideally the table could be copied and pasted into the subscriber's home data base program of choice for shopping purposes. Anyway, that's the concept, but don't ask ME how to implement it![/quote]
"Take A Train!"