dropping in...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

mousethief

#31 Post by mousethief » Mon Oct 18, 2004 5:29 am

Skillz was boring until we corrupted Splanky's thread.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Lawrence

#32 Post by Lawrence » Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:43 pm

julius wrote:
Lawrence wrote:"Might" refers to logical possibility, whereas "may" refers to permissibility. Similar to the can/may distinction, albeit not as well known.
you may be wrong.
You are irrelevantly correct. I do have the freedom to be morally wrong, but what I wrote is not gramatically incorrect.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Marcelo

#33 Post by Marcelo » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:31 am

Liberals want to ban the Bible.

CafeSavoy

#34 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:10 pm

Marcelo wrote:Liberals want to ban the Bible.
I think that belongs on yehoodi in the kitchen sink.

mousethief

#35 Post by mousethief » Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:34 pm

Moderate rate it!!!

Hey, Rayned, sorry you didn't make Y6A. We'll have to arrange a drink somewheres.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Yakov

#36 Post by Yakov » Fri Nov 12, 2004 11:54 am

for the time being i, like you, consider myself a DJ before considering myself a dancer... but that's only because above all I consider myself a GIMP!

Yakov

#37 Post by Yakov » Mon Nov 15, 2004 3:52 pm

oh, and by the way...
from the OED

SWING

a. A steady vigorous rhythm or movement characterizing a verse or musical composition.

* 1829 Cunningham Brit. Paint. I. 171 Distinguished by a vigorous swing of versification.

* 1879 Church Spenser 46 In the Shepherd's Calender we have for the first time in the century, the swing, the command, the varied resources of the true poet.

* 1884 Congregationalist Feb. 109 The `swing' and `go'..of these popular religious ballads.

b. Mus. A quality of jazz, dance music, etc., that has a flowing but strongly compelling rhythm; since the mid-thirties (esp. for a decade), applied to a variety of big dance-band music played in this style. Cf. swing- 2 d.

(a)
* 1899 H. H. Mincer (song-title) Virginia. Two-step & hot rag swing;

* 1917 Sun (N.Y.) 5 Aug. 3/7 Jazz is based on the savage musician's wonderful gift for progressive retarding and acceleration guided by his sense of swing.

* 1924 (music-title) Lou'siana swing [performed by Piron's New Orleans Orchestra].

* 1932 Duke' Ellington (song-title) It don't mean a thing (If it ain't got that swing).

* 1939 Duke' Ellington ( in Melody Maker 15 July 8/3 No notes represent swing. You can't write swing because swing is the emotional element in the audience and there is no swing until you hear the note.

* 1954 Grove's Dict. Music (ed. 5) IV. 600/1 `Swing'..can only be said to designate the regular but subtle rhythmic pulsation which animates 4-4 time and must be present in every good jazz performance. Swing is essentially the performer's concern: it cannot be indicated in musical notation except implicitly.

(b)

* 1936 Delineator CXXIX. 10/1 This swing, it's nothing more or less than jazz, is it?

* 1937 L. Armstrong Swing that Music xiv. 117 Even now, thirty years after Swing was born, this book is the first history of swing music, and of the men who made it, to be published in the English language.

* 1943 D. Welch Maiden Voyage xiv. 110 `What kind of records have you got?' `There's plenty of swing.'

* 1957 R. Hoggart Uses of Literacy v. 129 The emotional patterns bodied out by `swing' are quite close to those of the older, waltz-derived, styles: in fact, `swing' has been adapted and assimilated; a modern `swing' song and an old-fashioned waltz tune live together with ease.

* 1973 J. Wainwright Pride of Pigs 61 It wasn't jazz. Not real jazz... Swing..that's what they'd called it, when [Artie] Shaw had introduced it in the 1930's.

So there you have it, swing is a noun and Artie Shaw invented it in the 30's.