DJ "demo discs"

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Yakov

DJ "demo discs"

#1 Post by Yakov » Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:40 am

I was at EAT ME in Ann Arbor last weekend (spinnin) and talking to one of the other DJs (Glenn Gonzalez) about music... in the middle of the conversation he grabbed a slimline jewel case from his bag and pressed it into my hand... it was a mix he'd made with "underplayed" music, and his email and phone number. Basically a demo CD. Seems like a good idea for networking, because he's the only DJ I met there not from this board whose name and DJ selection is now sitting in my room, I remember who he is. Anyone else use this tactic? How do you work it exactly, for getting gigs? Does it work?

mousethief

#2 Post by mousethief » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:37 am

It's not a tactic I would use but it sounds effective, though I would wager it is more effective towards other DJs than organizers. I would custom create a demo CD for any event organizer I wanted to court.

Good idea, though.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#3 Post by gatorgal » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:42 am

I agree, very good idea, but I've never done it before. When I've talked to organizers I've usually just passed along email/phone info and done it that way.

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

Swifty

#4 Post by Swifty » Fri Jul 30, 2004 8:07 am

If anyone asks for something like that I'll usually just send them a copy of my Yehoodi show from last year.

Yakov

#5 Post by Yakov » Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:10 am

Actually, me getting the EAT ME gig in the first place was partially a result of a blues mix I made for a friend. I already had an "in" but she was able to convince the organizers by playing a few tracks from the disc. (That was my first out-of-town gig.)

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:03 am

Congratulations, Yakov!

I can't go that close to home without alerting the kinfolk, so Ann Arbor was out for me.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

(geek)

#7 Post by (geek) » Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:54 am

Shana gave me a demo-mix-cd at SFLX when I met her in 2001.. been friends ever since. :-)