The incessant talker

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

gatorgal

The incessant talker

#1 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:17 am

How do you feel about folks who constantly come up to the booth and talk to you during your sets? Let me explain...

There's this guy in our scene that really bothers me because when he comes to say hello to me (or request a song) he doesn't leave. He starts talking about the minutae of his life, sports, the state of the Middle East, whatever, but doesn't leave the booth. He stands right where I need to stand and is always underfoot. I've tried all kinds of body language cues to let him know to go away... he doesn't get the hint. I've even played some of his favorite songs and suggested that he dance with someone, but alas, he's still there. He even talks to me while I'm cueing songs up.

The man basically disturbs my chi.

Anyway, I really don't want to be a total bitch, since he is actually a loyal dancer who comes to most of our dances and the workshops he can afford. He's friendly to newbies and promotes like the dickens. I don't mind dancing with him when I'm not spinning. I just want him to get away from me while I'm DJing because that's a personal pet peeve of mine. Come say hello to me, chat for a few minutes, make a request and then leave, because I pretty much want to be left alone when I spin.

Is it me or what? How do I get rid of the "incessant talker"??? :x

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

yedancer

#2 Post by yedancer » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:32 am

Post something on your local board as a general reminder to everyone that when DJs are working they need space.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:56 am

If people try to talk to me duing my set and I am not able to devote any time to them, I just apologize and tell them to catch me later. Just as some DJs do to me when I try to talk to them during their set and they don't have any time for me.

Sometimes, I like the company. I want people to come up and talk to me. Additionally,most of the local DJs are known to dance near the booth/stage during their set from time to time. I guess some DJs are better at multi-tasking than others.

So, I don't know if there is some big rule about this sort of thing.

mousethief

#4 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:00 am

I look over the rims of my glasses and glare at them until they go away. If you don't believe me, ask Jerry.

Maybe you've got a secwet admiwew. S'cute.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

gatorgal

#5 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:13 am

mousethief wrote: Maybe you've got a secwet admiwew. S'cute.

Kalman
Just another reason I'll be smacking you around in Atlanta. :)

Tina 8)

mousethief

#6 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:20 am

I think you should just stare into his eyes and plant one on him. You know those Lindy guys; they hem and haw if they're not dancing.

Kalman
"The cause of reform is hurt, not helped, when an activist makes an idiotic suggestion."

Jerry_Jelinek

#7 Post by Jerry_Jelinek » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:23 am

Well to be honest, straight forward communication is usually best.

If you can nicely remind him that you'll play his requests (when you can fit it in), and that having him near the DJ booth is difficult to keep the music flowing right.

Maybe offer to join him for a dance at break when your done.

I also have to agree it sounds like an admirer.

Jerry

PS - I won't mention anything about the NCAA b'ball tourney and FL.

mousethief

#8 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:26 am

SEE?

I once had a girl who had *no chemistry* (with me, her words) stand next to the DJ booth ALL NIGHT LONG. No chemistry, my bronzed tushie.

Kalman

julius

#9 Post by julius » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:35 am

If the subtle clues aren't working, it's definitely time to just tell him flat out to hose off (as nicely as possible of course).

Swifty

#10 Post by Swifty » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:44 am

I usually just put on my headphones and sample my next song.

...and punch them in the head.

mousethief

#11 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:58 am

I've been re-reading your post, Miss T, and I've come to the conclusion that Daddy likes. I'm not saying that to crank yer chain - but it's fun. I think he's really interested.

Kalman

gatorgal

#12 Post by gatorgal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:47 pm

Jerry_Jelinek wrote:
PS - I won't mention anything about the NCAA b'ball tourney and FL.
Nothing like getting beaten like a red-headed stepchild to give you perspective. :)

Kalman - you are all kinds of wrong. :)

These are times when I wished more chicks posted. :D

Tina 8)

ScottieK

#13 Post by ScottieK » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:16 pm

I just tend to ignore people who I want to go away. I'll start watching the crowd and stop responding while the person is gabbing away. I'll toss on my head phone for added effect. That or I'll put on a long song and leave the booth for minute to head to the bar. Obviously, everyone has to leave the booth when I leave.

mousethief

#14 Post by mousethief » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:44 pm

Seriously, I stare at them. I'm not kidding.

I don't have time to play game with people by looking through my books or cueing songs. If someone approaches the booth, I ask them what I can do for them. Then I stare them down.

We have a guy locally who wll never get it. No matter what it is, he ain't gonna get it. He can't even get my name right and he asks nearly every time he's out. And I tell him, "I'm busy right now. Can you hang out or come back after I''ve found the next song."

And then I burn holes in him with my Heat Vision.

Kalman

djstarr

#15 Post by djstarr » Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:40 pm

gatorgal wrote: These are times when I wished more chicks posted. :D

Tina 8)
Because of your admirer or because of the NCAA results? I wasn't paying attention and actually put Florida in my next round <my bad>. We got no less than 3 teams from Wash state in the big dance tho (UW which is my alma mater, Gonzaga, and East. Washington (which is pretty much in the same town as Gonzaga, looks like there is something brewing in Spokane).

Sorry Tina, I read your first post and before I even got to any of the others on the thread I thought "Oh, he digs her".

Since he probably wants you to continue to like him just explain to him nicely that you have trouble concentrating on the next selection when he is in the booth with you. That might flatter him into thinking that he really "bothers" you ---.

If that doesn't work, ignore him - I like the suggestion of putting on the headphones and look for the next song --- that should give him a big hint.

I like people to interact and chatter with me; but I also have the ability to get a panicked look on my face and turn my back to them when I see I only have a minute left and the next song isn't cued up....