Microphone skills

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

sonofvu

#16 Post by sonofvu » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:11 pm

I like making anouncements but I also like keeping them short and to the point. Also, I like having the information written down and in front of me when making the anouncement.
Yard work sucks. I would much rather dj.

Lawrence

#17 Post by Lawrence » Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:08 pm

Jesse pretty much said it all, but one anecdote to exemplify some of the major points. Think of how employees sound at WalMart, and do the exact opposite. Muffled, rushed, unennunciated, sloppy, and unintelligble announcements don't do anyone any good.

Speak clearly and confidently into the microphone with as full a voice as you can. Many times, nervousness makes us raise the timbre/tone of our voice such that it does not project well over a microphone.

Also, don't be afraid of hearing yourself. One of the most common errors I've seen is someone speaking too softly because they mistakenly think that a little bit of amplification is enough.

And if you don't feel comfortable, write a brief script outline, stick to it and keep it short, and get on with the music.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

kitkat

#18 Post by kitkat » Thu May 12, 2005 4:59 pm

I was DJing an important event in my hometown last weekend. Part of me was thinking, "Keep a low profile & just play good music--you love these weekends and want to get hired for more." But people'd been really friendly to me and complimenting me on all sorts of things that weekend, and I was a little on top of the world.

The band I was playing before was called "Maud Hixson and her French Explosion." I found this name hilarious--I don't know why, but I did.

I decided to poke a little fun at it and at the end of my set said, "Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Maud Hixson and her French Explosion!"--in French. With a big Monty Pythonesque exaggeration of the nasality on the word "français."

Mistakes:
1) Apparently everything I'd said was way too close to the mic, and people hadn't understood a word out of me when I gave myself a little outtro earlier, having thought my set was over.
2) It wasn't that funny of a joke, now that I think about it. [This alone is probably forgiveable.]
3) I'd forgotten that it was time for the next round of competition, and that Maud wasn't up with the band yet--it was just them for the comp. I freaked the organizers out, because it sounded like I said something important, but obviously they had no idea what... they only heard "Maud Hixson," I'm sure. One came running over and said, "Katie, it's the competition!" So, what I should've done for that setting is quietly ducked out as I gave the emcee the mic at the end of my set.

Live & learn.
I still can't decide if my joke was actually funny.

gatorgal

#19 Post by gatorgal » Fri May 13, 2005 1:06 pm

Oops.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that the joke probably sounds hilarious in French. :)

Tina 8)
"I'm here to kick a little DJ a$$!"
~ Foreman on That 70s Show

echocampfire

#20 Post by echocampfire » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:20 pm

One phenomenon which often infuriates me (as a dancer) is an experienced DJ or MC who thinks his confidence and clear enunciation actually entertain the crowd. They don't.

Example: recently an experienced DJ played a song with many breaks. After the 3rd break, he cut in with "Come on, guys. You should here 'em coming by now! Let's see if you get the next one!" I'd like to concentrate on my partner, thanks. Not you.

For emphasis: Shut Up! Shut Up! Shut Up!

You know who you are.
MG

Mr Awesomer

#21 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:59 pm

Why not tell him in person instead of passive aggressively bitching about it online?
Reuben Brown
Southern California

GemZombie

#22 Post by GemZombie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:19 pm

GuruReuben wrote:Why not tell him in person instead of passive aggressively bitching about it online?
But it's far more entertaining this way ;)

Well, no, but I'm just bored.

echocampfire

#23 Post by echocampfire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:26 pm

You're right, of course.

MG

Toon Town Dave

#24 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:06 pm

I'd take attempting to entertain over purposely trying not to entertain on the mic.

To quote the DJ that gets paid to play and announce pre-selected, pre-recorded playlists at one of our monthly ballroom dances:

<monotone female voice>And the next song will be a Jive called Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy. This will be a Jive.</monotone female voice>

It contributes to the institutional vibe of the event.

Lawrence

#25 Post by Lawrence » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:22 pm

One phenomenon which often infuriates me (as a dancer) is an experienced DJ or MC who thinks his confidence and clear enunciation actually entertain the crowd. They don't.
Au contraire. Chicks dig it when I use the mic to sing during instrumentals, but I suspect that is better discussed in the "Do you DJ better when drunk" thread....
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com