My first exchange...

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Platypus

#16 Post by Platypus » Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:03 pm

Play Zoot Suit Riot. Just EVERYONE will be sure to know your name!

KevinSchaper

#17 Post by KevinSchaper » Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:59 pm

Platypus wrote:Play Zoot Suit Riot. Just EVERYONE will be sure to know your name!
I think I'd actually rather dance to zoot suit riot than let's get it on.

gatorgal

#18 Post by gatorgal » Wed Jan 07, 2004 4:01 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kristina... you're a funny gal!!!

Tina 8)

mousethief

#19 Post by mousethief » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:39 am

KevinSchaper wrote:
Platypus wrote:Play Zoot Suit Riot. Just EVERYONE will be sure to know your name!
I think I'd actually rather dance to zoot suit riot than let's get it on.
Thank you! I would rather dance to Hey! Pachuco! than 90% of what gets played in slow rooms.

And for the record, the up-tempo I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water by Lou Rawls is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. It's bloody awful.

Kalman

Yakov

#20 Post by Yakov » Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:25 am

i bet you'd jest love his version of "Saturday Night Fish Fry"... :o

If you're Gator Gal, why not play "Gator's Groove" by Willis Jackson?

JesseMiner

#21 Post by JesseMiner » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:36 pm

mousethief wrote:And for the record, the up-tempo I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water by Lou Rawls is one of the worst songs I've ever heard. It's bloody awful.
Well it might not be to your liking, but that hardly makes it an awful song. It's got great energy, and I've seen plenty of dancers go crazy for it in the past. I definitely don't hesitate to play it time to time when the mood calls for it.

Jesse

gatorgal

#22 Post by gatorgal » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:45 pm

Yakov wrote:i bet you'd jest love his version of "Saturday Night Fish Fry"... :o

Probably because I've never heard of it... I am still new this. :)

But now I'm gonna look it up...

Thanks!
Tina 8)

Mr Awesomer

#23 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:48 pm

JesseMiner wrote:Well it might not be to your liking, but that hardly makes it an awful song.
Well it certainly makes it an awful song to him, and many others for that matter.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

djstarr

#24 Post by djstarr » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:45 pm

gatorgal wrote:
Yakov wrote:i bet you'd jest love his version of "Saturday Night Fish Fry"... :o

Probably because I've never heard of it... I am still new this. :)

But now I'm gonna look it up...

Thanks!
Tina 8)
There's also "Gator Swing" off of Earl Hines Chronogical '37 - '39 - it's an awesome song.

gatorgal

#25 Post by gatorgal » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:48 pm

Wow... an entire set devoted to my sick love of the University of Florida Gators... imagine the possiblities.

Tina 8)

Lawrence

#26 Post by Lawrence » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:15 pm

gatorgal wrote:Wow... an entire set devoted to my sick love of the University of Florida Gators...
(Emphasis added.) 8) :wink:

At least Florida chose the right school colors.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Yakov

#27 Post by Yakov » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:21 am

to find "gator's groove":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A1WPC (tenor honkers proper box, $20)

or

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000002IRS (atlantic 8 cd R&B comp, $80)

both sets highly recommended. the song is a hard-driving rhythm-and-blues (blues) at 166 bpm. awesome arrangements, awesome solos, awesome rhythm.

if you like willis gator jackson also look for ruth brown, her backing bandleader (and husband) was willis gator jackson

AND THAT MAN KNOWS A RIFF WHEN HE SEES ONE!

-yakov.
Last edited by Yakov on Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gatorgal

#28 Post by gatorgal » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:43 am

Lawrence wrote:
gatorgal wrote:Wow... an entire set devoted to my sick love of the University of Florida Gators...
(Emphasis added.) 8) :wink:

At least Florida chose the right school colors.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yakov wrote:if you like willis gator jackson also look for ruth brown, her backing bandleader (and husband) was willis gator jackson
Never knew that... I love Ruth Brown. Thanks for the info!

Tina 8)

lindyholic

#29 Post by lindyholic » Fri Jan 09, 2004 11:02 pm

My first Exchange experience was at the Vancouver Exchange this past summer, and it was pretty good. I cleared the floor a couple times, but I knew the songs I selected would do so for the event and people didn't have any problem with it because it didn't happen on a regular basis. So don't be afraid to throw out a good floor burner every once in a while.

I find it's fairly easy to please people at an exchange because generally people just want to go out and dance and a lot don't really care about the music. I DJed a couple times at the Vancouver exchange and people seemed quite content with the music most of the DJs were playing. So don't be too afraid, yes, it's a larger crowd, but from what I've found, those crowds are also, generally, a lot easier to please.

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

Toon Town Dave

#30 Post by Toon Town Dave » Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:43 am

A few people seem to be implying the quality of music matters less at an exchange that at say a regular dance night.

I think the local DJs versus hired guns for exchanges has been discussed elsewhere and I think exchanges should be about showcasing local color. My general thought is that an exchange in the spirit of showing off the local scene would want to show of the best of the scene has to offer. If you invite guests over for dinner, you don't serve Taco Bell unless you're a really bad cook to begin with. Why would you want to showcase mediocre music?

I have yet to DJ an "Exchange" by the current understanding of the word but I have DJ'd and event with a number of out of town guests visiting for the first time. Our guests drove 5 hours just for a single evening of dancing and would probably have danced to a windshield wiper if that's all there was. I made a much greater effort to satisfy the crowd that I normally would on a regular night figuring anyone willing to go that that much effort was worth it.

Harrison, when you say you cleared the floor, do you mean there was no one dancing or were you accomodating a minority of dancers that desired fast music?