History Lessons

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lindyholic

History Lessons

#1 Post by lindyholic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:41 am

One thing I have been really enjoying lately is doing a history lesson every week when I DJ. What I would do is before I play a song related to what I'm about to say, I say a little something about the song or artist usually. I wasn't sure if people were enjoying it or not, but the beginners last night who were out got really excited when I started my history lesson.

Does anyone else enjoy doing this?

Harrison
www.lindyhopper.ca, Canada's Swing Site.

yedancer

#2 Post by yedancer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:37 am

I'm not sure if I get what you're saying. Do you do this only once during the night, or before every song?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

lindyholic

#3 Post by lindyholic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:02 pm

I only do it once a night. If I did it before every song there would be no flow what so ever.

Harrison

CafeSavoy

#4 Post by CafeSavoy » Sat Dec 06, 2003 12:43 pm

lindyholic wrote:I only do it once a night. If I did it before every song there would be no flow what so ever.

Harrison
If you did, Marcelo would have to start a thread about you.

yedancer

#5 Post by yedancer » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:20 pm

That sounds like a really cool idea. When do you usually do this and how long do you talk?
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

lindyholic

#6 Post by lindyholic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:35 pm

Depends on where I get into my set. I find a few stories and when I come to a song that is done by an artist I am about to talk about, or that there's a story about the song itself, I talk. I don't talk for any more then one minute usually. So far it's been going really well.

Harrison

Nate Dogg

#7 Post by Nate Dogg » Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:43 pm

Whether or not the DJ likes the history lesson is not the question.

I recomend you ask the dancers if they enjoy the history lesson, one on one, after you have finished a set. If you think they are afraid to be honest with you, you might consider getting somebody else to ask.

In the past, DJs talking talking about such things has been a sore spot with some dancers. Long threads on other forums document the rage that some folks feel about the whole issue. As a rule, I don't do history lessons. The one time I broke the rule, for a special dance we did saluting a specific era of swing music, I got numerous complaints.

Additonally, in the past, when other local DJs have given short history lessons, I hear comments like, "I hope he shuts up and plays some music."

Nathan
Last edited by Nate Dogg on Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

lindyholic

#8 Post by lindyholic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 5:58 pm

I've been enjoying it, but so are the dancers. Yesterday it was mostly newer dancers there and they all got excited when I announced it was my weekly history lesson.

It's been very successful. For me because I've been both enjoying sharing and learning Jazz history. The dancers have been all enjoying it too, getting excited every time I share this stuff.

It's been a success here, am just curious if there are others who enjoy it.

Harrison

Lawrence

#9 Post by Lawrence » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:36 am

I tried it years ago, and some people thought it was neat for the first few weeks. However, I eventually realized that commentary that would be appropriate for radio is often rather inappropriate for a dance.

Most people really don't want to hear about it, which is a shame but is also something I need to acknowledge so as to not distract people from how good the actual music is. It also smacked of uppitiness: as if I merely wanted to show off the fact that I knew more than they did instead of truly just share what I had learned. It ultimately came down to my realizing and appreciating that not everyone (and perhaps no one) was as interested in that stuff as I was.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Lindy Bomb

#10 Post by Lindy Bomb » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:07 am

Man, it's only a minute. If someone can't stand to not have music for 60 seconds- well, then they can head over to the bar for a drink or go to the bathroom.

It does sound interesting, although, I don't think it's something I, personally, would do. But that's just me. If it seems to be going over well, then I'd say to roll with it. I'll always argue for educated music listening.

You do have to be careful of the tone of voice you use...you don't want people to think that you're talking down to them or that you don't trust them to know good music when they hear it (even if that is what you think). Those are sure fire ways to make sure that they don't pay attention.

Also, I wouldn't announce this as a "history lesson." That sounds too much like you're lecturing, something that nobody likes outside of the classroom. Maybe just say it's a fun fact for the night...

Petitetonya

#11 Post by Petitetonya » Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:35 am

I think it is an interesting idea...I don't see what the big deal is about a minute of time being spent on it. I think it would depend on the crowd. It may work better for beginners though and it sounds like it is working for Harrison's crowd. I wouldn't try that djing at Memories or LindyGroove...it would be weird. But, I would possibly do that at the Century once or twice. Once in a while I would preface a song if the artist had a bday, or had died, or if there was a special reason for playing the song but it would usually only be a 30 second deal.

Nando

#12 Post by Nando » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:33 pm

Lindy Bomb wrote:Man, it's only a minute. If someone can't stand to not have music for 60 seconds- well, then they can head over to the bar for a drink or go to the bathroom.
As an experiment, try not playing any music for 60 seconds at a dance. See what happens. Or time how much dead air you have before someone asks for music. A couple of seconds without music can seem much longer at times.

As someone who is into the music, I don't mind a history lesson. But I usually don't want to hear it when I'm dancing or socializing with other people on the dance floor. If there's a song I like or want to know more about, I'll usually walk up to the DJ booth and inquire. When I DJ, I'd rather have people ask me questions personally.

However, I can totally understand why newbies might be interested in this. They're new at this and trying to learn. What harm is there in learning about the music? I'd just think that a lot more of the 'regulars' in the scene would rather hear music than banter usually reserved for radio DJs.

yedancer

#13 Post by yedancer » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:20 pm

I seriously doubt regulars are so uppity they would have a major problem with 1 minute a night of historical information. There was a DJ in San Diego who used to give 30 second to a minute introductions to half the songs in his set, and that got annoying. But only a minute once per night? Please. At venues here in SD, it is standard for the owner of the venue to talk on the mic for at least a minute or two every night, possibly twice a night, to promote local classes or events. A historical lesson wouldn't be any more intrusive than that. Give the crowd SOME credit.
-Jeremy

yedancer

#14 Post by yedancer » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:21 pm

Nando wrote:As an experiment, try not playing any music for 60 seconds at a dance. See what happens. Or time how much dead air you have before someone asks for music. A couple of seconds without music can seem much longer at times.
"No music" does not equal "Talking instead of music."
-Jeremy

Lindy Bomb

#15 Post by Lindy Bomb » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:15 pm

exactly. besides, it isn't unheard of for a dj to talk every now and then to announce something like a moving away jam or to plug an event that's happening- why is it so absurd that they might spend 60 seconds saying a little something about the music? besides, I actually like a couple seconds between songs to give each one a proper beginning and end (instead of the night-long-swing-mix type feel that I get from the way that some djs overlap their tunes). to me, silence is only scary when the song has ended and I have no plan for what to play/say next.