#1 Post by J-h:n » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Post is excellent, blog looks interesting:

http://www.euclidsfifth.com/dj-101/the-band-break-dj/

Haydn

Re: Blogpost on being a band break dj

#2 Post by Haydn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:29 am

J-h:n wrote:Post is excellent, blog looks interesting:

http://www.euclidsfifth.com/dj-101/the-band-break-dj/
Excellent blog and good article - thanks 8). I've found band breaks are usually great times to DJ. You normally have a "full floor" and the energy is high. I agree with Kyle's point about supporting the band and that it's best not to play songs that the band have played or are about to play.

dogpossum

#3 Post by dogpossum » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:19 am

This is interesting and useful stuff. It reminds me of a set I did a little while ago for a local band. I did the pre-band warm up stuff, keeping it chillaxed and kind of setting things up for the band, then they did their set. Problem was, they'd been briefed badly, and weren't prepared for the type of gig it was. So their set really struggled. It was painful to see a good band trying to make it work for the dancers _and_ play to the brief their employer had provided.

When it came time for me to do the first band break, I was kind of torn. Did I play it chilled and not make the band look bad by playing stuff the dancers _would_ like? Or did I try to play salvage something for the dancers? Eventually I compromised and played dancer-friendly, but not super amazingly high energy omg wow music. A good, solid, safe set.

Mid-way through the trumpeter stopped in with me to say "oh man, we had no idea this was what the dancers wanted - thanks for the heads up." And then they changed gears completely for their next set and really pwnd it. And I could safely play that chillaxed, support-act type music.
It was a really challenging situation, and it really emphasised how important it is for event organisers to know something about the music and musicians they want. It also made it very clear to me that talking to the band is very important when you're doing band breaks. If only I'd put in a bit more chat time with them before the gig!