www.swingdjs.com

www.swingdjs.com
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:03 pm 

I have a gig coming up next week, and I decided to make a playlist in advance this time. I kept thinking if I was some sort of "respond to the floor" purist, I wouldn't do this.

But now I think plenty of DJs I love dancing to have playlists and just tweak them in response to the floor.

But I have to say...I'm sitting at my laptop...and I'm totally stumped & intimidated. I'm like...where do I start? There're no dancers in the room...how am I supposed to do this?

For those of you who make playlists (or short-lists) in advance that aren't just auto-playlists (like "all 5-star songs")...how do you get started?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:30 pm 

I had exactly the same problem doing that yehoodi set! I think making a proper playlist like that requires a particular set of skills.

But I've also done something similar when I've 'practiced' DJing. Even if I don't actually play the set start to finish for dancers, I often refer back to it when I've done some interesting transitions or a little clump of songs I especially liked. It's useful to have these on hand if I have a moment of panic while DJing 'live'.

This is what I do:
I imagine a particular scenario (eg I'm the first DJ of the night at an after class gig, and the teachers have been teaching a Frankie Manning Favourites type class) and I start from there. Then I work an imaginary wave, moving up and down tempos according to my imaginary crowd's fitness/energy/interest. My imaginary crowd is usually based on my experience with crowds at the particular event, or perhaps my 'ideal' crowd. I usually have a short list of songs I'd especially like to play - new things I love, or old things I've neglected - and I think about them as places I'd like to go in the set.

Basically, I DJ for an imaginary crowd in my brainz when I'm making a practice set list. When I was doing this regularly my DJing really benefitted. Note to self: practice more!

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:53 pm 

That is how I do it with the events here . Its best to try and be the imaginary dancer and how he feels. The prepared list can be effected by the general ambiance , weather , time of the year ( people chat more when they are back from holidays ,etc ) . regular practice is a must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:03 pm 

I usually make a shortlist ahead of time of songs I think might be suitable for the gig (style, tempo etc) and songs (either new or old) that I want to remind myself to consider. Often it's simply tracks I've been listening to recently that have made my foot start tapping. The shortlist can sometimes be only a few songs, or if it's a special event with a particular feel (support for a big band/first night of an exchange weekend/swing n soul theme...), it might be 3 times as long as the duration of the actual set.

So if I'm playing support for a big band, I might decide to listen to some small group swing ahead of time. I say small group in this example as to compliment but not compete with the big band (IMHO it's kinda an ass thing to do to play Basie & Ellington on full volume in the middle of your local big band's set, but I digress). From that I might shortlist a few tracks I like that I think would work nicely.

I make all the decisions about what order to play them at the gig*, and supplement the set with other stuff I know or think of as the night unfolds.

Often it's a case of joining the dots. If I want to get from a beginner-friendly rhythm n blues track to something more New Orleansy, what would be a nice way of getting there that provides the dancers with good dancing opportunities? I take into account tempo, era, style, feel, vocals (inc. gender of), evident skill levels, familiarity, recording quality...

*although sometimes I'll decide ahead of time that a particular track would make a good opener, or be good for later in the night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:03 pm 

Ahhh....the tyranny of the blank page.

I find that some constraints are very liberating, and if no one else will provide them, I will provide them myself.

I DJ for WCS dances (in theory...I haven't in a while). There is a wiiiiiiiiiiiiide range of tempo and genre of that is suitable for the dance. So, I might start by making a few playlists like "Slow Blues", "Fast Blues", "Late Night", "After Class", etc, etc.

That at least gives me some constraint for building a playlist. It doesn't really matter what constraints you pick....as long as they are at least in the ballpark of what you might face at a gig.

Whenever I am prepping for a new dance, I use the basic information I have at hand to pick the first 5 to 10 songs - the opening 15 to 30 minutes of the set. I consider the venue, the likely crowd, the context of what happened in the time slot before my set, and so on. I rarely play even the first 5 songs in that order...but at least I have a plan for the start.

The playlists give me a "themed" set of songs that I can pick from if I think it will be appropriate for the people in the room at the time. I may play 1 or 10 songs from a given playlist before moving on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:53 pm 

What do you know about your gig and the target audience?

Are you going to play during band breaks, or for an entire DJ-ed night? On average, how proficient are the dancers there? Which kind of stuff do they mostly like to hear? Classic Swing? Post-war Jazz? Etc.

If you can answer these questions, or you can get the answers from whomever hired you, you should get some guidelines to build your playlist.

Cheers,
Lorenzo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 pm 

It isn't about picking the absolute best song at first, but at picking the first few and see where they lead you.

Chose a song about something in your life right now: valentine's day or bad weather or songs about New Orleans when they went to the Super Bowl or a friend having triplets.

Ask someone for one song to inspire you

Look at Swing DJs and choose songs recommended from it.

Do a random search on your music program.

I once DJed a set with artists whose names ran from M to R. Ah, the joys of grabbing the wrong CD case back in the day.

I hope you enjoy your challenge!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:31 am 

kitkat wrote:
I have a gig coming up next week, and I decided to make a playlist in advance this time. I kept thinking if I was some sort of "respond to the floor" purist, I wouldn't do this.

But now I think plenty of DJs I love dancing to have playlists and just tweak them in response to the floor.

But I have to say...I'm sitting at my laptop...and I'm totally stumped & intimidated. I'm like...where do I start? There're no dancers in the room...how am I supposed to do this?

For those of you who make playlists (or short-lists) in advance that aren't just auto-playlists (like "all 5-star songs")...how do you get started?

Kitkat,

Are you thinking of just playing your prepared playlist, or using it as the basis of a DJ set? If it's the former - and you are thinking of hitting play and letting it run, the advantage is that you can put a lot of preparation into making it a great list. Some of the key things I think are:

- Songs that excite you now
- Songs that you think will excite the dancers on the night
- Plenty of 'light and shade' *

* I love following a slow relaxed number with an uptempo one with a killer intro. If you prepare in advance, you can find combinations of songs that work well together.

I find playing songs at random on my iPod is a great way to find songs that excite me and I think might work at certain events.

Let us know how it goes ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:09 am 

Thanks everyone!

Haydn, I'm not preparing to walk away from the computer & let the playlist run.

Looking to learn the secrets of competent, danceable DJ's who spend ample time at their computers, but also relax & dance to at least 50% of their songs. Suspected it had something to do w/ playlists.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]