Contrasting/complementing the previous DJ

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Bob the Builder

Contrasting/complementing the previous DJ

#1 Post by Bob the Builder » Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:23 am

When you DJing at an event and your set is following another DJs do you prefer to:
Completely contrast the pervious DJ?
Complement the previous DJ?
Complement the pervious DJ at first and then change it to suit your team/mood for the event?
Play the style that you like to play?

I know the dancers them selves with have an influence on the above, but lets say that the dancers are open to what ever you want.

I know this thread is simular to another current thread, but I want to come at it in the point of when you are following another DJ, how much of a different sound to you want to generate?

Bob

Roy

#2 Post by Roy » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:19 am

Depends, If I'm introduced I play something completly different if not then I play something complimentry and then move out of it.

Nate Dogg

#3 Post by Nate Dogg » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:23 am

Depends on how well his set was being recieved by the dancers. If the previous DJ was sucking it up, I may totally switches styles/tempo. To let everybody know that the DJ has changed.

However, the more prevelant scenario is when the DJ is doing a decent job. In that case, I try to flow with his set.

So, I guess you could say I compliment, with the occasional exception.

Greg Avakian

#4 Post by Greg Avakian » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:22 am

Nate Dogg wrote:Depends on how well his set was being recieved by the dancers. If the previous DJ was sucking it up, I may totally switches styles/tempo. To let everybody know that the DJ has changed.

However, the more prevelant scenario is when the DJ is doing a decent job. In that case, I try to flow with his set.

So, I guess you could say I compliment, with the occasional exception.
Ditto. I prefer to blend, but if I'm coming after someone who sucked, I'd rather stand out.