Contrast vs. Blending

Contrast
47%
Blending
53%

Total votes: 17

Lawrence

#46 Post by Lawrence » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:19 pm

GuruReuben wrote:After all we were talking about "respect" and "Swing DJ" within the same parameters, so I figured it was all just a joke. Again, I'm sorry. ::snorts::
:lol: Point taken.
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CafeSavoy

#47 Post by CafeSavoy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:40 pm

falty411 wrote:Greg will never be asked to DJ ULHS or the Lindy Binge

I will never be asked to DJ the Austin Exchange or ALHC
interesting statements. curious why you say you'll never be asked to dj at ALHC since Rueben has dj'ed there and i think is scheduled to dj there again.

Soupbone

#48 Post by Soupbone » Thu Aug 14, 2003 5:27 am

falty411 wrote: It seems like you are the only one making random compliments to someone. I would like to see you call me anything to my face.
What are you, like, 15? What's next? Are you going to tell him to meet you at the flagpole outside the school at 3pm for a fight?

Sheesh....
Gary

Roy

#49 Post by Roy » Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:41 am

falty411 wrote:I think people would be weirded out if they saw my name on the ALX or STLBX DJ roster. I know I would be.
ALX-No, I would think they were expanding to a wider range. Maybe they could stick you in a special side room. (with pink rubber walls<haha>)

STBLX-Yes I would be suprrised, since they play stuff the rest of wouldn't. I would much rather hear you play old school big band blues and Kansas city blues then what they play which tends to be modern blues, funk rythms, and modern R&B.

falty411

#50 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 7:45 am

Soupbone wrote: What are you, like, 15? What's next? Are you going to tell him to meet you at the flagpole outside the school at 3pm for a fight?

Sheesh....
so im a child for wanting to finish it? hes the one that picked it.

the internet gives people liscense to say things they wouldnt normally in person. throughout any of my posts, regardless of what they are about.....i never call ANYONE any names or try to insult them as a person.

if he wants to make it personal, then he should do it in person and not hide behind the security of the internet.
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Soupbone

#51 Post by Soupbone » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:49 am

falty411 wrote:so im a child for wanting to finish it? hes the one that picked it.
Pretty much using the phrase "finish it" with the implication that said finishing would be an ass whomping indicates to me that it's childish, irrespective of the original comment.

But, as best I can tell from re-scanning the tread, he said he felt Greg was respected as a DJ and "others" aren't. You then called him a brown noser (so much for you not calling others names... I didn't even have to change threads to disprove that theory!). So, then he calls you a sycophant. Your response was to have him meet you at the flagpole.

It all sounds terribly mature to me! I stand corrected! :?
Gary

Yakov

#52 Post by Yakov » Thu Aug 14, 2003 11:47 am

Yeah, Austin's lindy exchange site is confusing and scary, and DLX wouldn't even come up on my computer. :(

Nate Dogg

#53 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:39 pm

I am not blaming Falty or Lawrence, you can find provacative statements in each of their posts.

I just want to say that nothing written on this Board is worth a fist fight. If you think it is, you take things way to seriously. Hopefully, neither Falty or Lawrence are really as angry as they appear to be.

As for the comments, it appears that a lot of people (including me) sometimes say things that are insensitive on this Board. That does not mean I hate anybody or people hate me. Hopefully, the time will never come when we hear of two DJs in a fist fight over some crap posted on this or similar boards.

It is often said that words don't translate emotions very well online and I think this little blow-up is a reflection of that.

Some of us disagree about music, so what.

Nathan

Swifty

#54 Post by Swifty » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:38 pm

Yakov wrote:while we're off-topic: by the way, i can't stand "theme" lindy exchange web sites. they're completely annoying.
Yakov wrote:Yeah, Austin's lindy exchange site is confusing and scary, and DLX wouldn't even come up on my computer. :(
Have you passed along this opinion to the event organizers? Sometimes I'm sure many of them think I'm the only one with this opinion.

Swifty

#55 Post by Swifty » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:40 pm

falty411 wrote:...I know the events I get asked to DJ at.

Seattle Exchange, DCLX, ULHS, Herrang, HJDF, tributes to the Savoy, stuff like that.
[bait]So basically the events organized by your friends?[/bait]

Lawrence

#56 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:46 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:Hopefully, neither Falty or Lawrence are really as angry as they appear to be.
Who said I was angry? :? I'm just having fun teasing the schoolyard bully through the safety of the Internet! :wink:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Nate Dogg

#57 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 14, 2003 1:56 pm

Swifty wrote:
Yakov wrote:while we're off-topic: by the way, i can't stand "theme" lindy exchange web sites. they're completely annoying.
Yakov wrote:Yeah, Austin's lindy exchange site is confusing and scary, and DLX wouldn't even come up on my computer. :(
Have you passed along this opinion to the event organizers? Sometimes I'm sure many of them think I'm the only one with this opinion.
Taking the bait.

I read the posts, the other organizers of ALX do as well. We know that a small number of people find the concept of theme exchanges and elaborate website distasteful. We also have an even larger group who are very enthusiastic about our efforts.

What are we supposed to, change our theme and whole promotional strategy mid-stream because a few people complained on principal about us having a large themed Exchange.

We welcome everybody with open arms, it is going to be a fun time, we are working really hard.

Back to the topic of contrast vs blending. There are other threads on other Boards for this type of conversation.

Nathan

falty411

#58 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:42 pm

Swifty wrote: [bait]So basically the events organized by your friends?[/bait]
wow, my friends organize some pretty cool shit!
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Swifty

#59 Post by Swifty » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:03 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:Taking the bait.

I read the posts, the other organizers of ALX do as well. We know that a small number of people find the concept of theme exchanges and elaborate website distasteful. We also have an even larger group who are very enthusiastic about our efforts.
No, it's not a small number of people. It's a lot bigger number than you think, it's just that most have better things to do than complain about it online.
What are we supposed to, change our theme and whole promotional strategy mid-stream because a few people complained on principal about us having a large themed Exchange.
What I have been asking you to do for weeks now is stop hyping when you have nothing to hype. Announce something about the music, some real details about the venues, something that would make someone interested in substance notice instead of just wasting space with three of the top threads on Yehoodi by talking about nothing.

Shanabanana

#60 Post by Shanabanana » Thu Aug 14, 2003 9:20 pm

Nate Dogg wrote:What are we supposed to, change our theme and whole promotional strategy mid-stream because a few people complained on principal about us having a large themed Exchange.
Actually, it's probably a lot more people than you think. Some people are too nice to criticize online. Some will just pull their registrations at the last minute because they're skeeved out by the whole thing. Think of it like your congressman does. For every person who complains, there are 100 that feel the same way but won't get off their duffs and call the office to make their voices heard.

When the Denver LX promotion got out of hand, I passed on the grumbling I was hearing and they toned it down. That was way before the anti-hype hostility got to this point. It would be good to look seriously at this feedback.

I don't think anyone is telling you to change your promotional strategy. But I would definitely think about the whole concept of having a "promotional strategy" that doesn't include basically anything about what to expect at the exchange. Well, anything that has to do with the actual dancing, that is.

I loved the first Austin exchange, and I've heard nothing but good about the subsequent ones. Seems to me that getting people there with your reputation is more likely than getting them there with a part of college many of us would rather forget about.