Contrast
47%
Blending
53%

Total votes: 17

falty411

Contrast vs. Blending

#1 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:10 am

do you feel that as a swing DJ it is better to play songs in an order that is contrasting or blending? Contrasting in all aspects, tempos, style etc.

why?
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Lawrence

#2 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:23 am

Both.

This thread belongs in "DJ Skilz," not Swinging Music....
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

falty411

#3 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:49 am

thanks for the extremely insightful post

im sure one of the moderators will move it
-mikey faltesek

"Dancing is the union of the body with the rhythm and the sound of the music." Al Minns in 1984

Soupbone

#4 Post by Soupbone » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:00 pm

Another helpful post for ya, Mike.

I also say both. There are times when contrasting make sense. There are times when blending makes sense. Too much of either will probably result in some set of people complaining.

It ain't no dichotomy, though.
Gary

falty411

#5 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:06 pm

Soupbone wrote:Another helpful post for ya, Mike.

I also say both. There are times when contrasting make sense. There are times when blending makes sense. Too much of either will probably result in some set of people complaining.

It ain't no dichotomy, though.
what kind of situation would you say calls for blending?

what kind of situation would make people upset if there is contrast?
-mikey faltesek

sonofvu

#6 Post by sonofvu » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:07 pm

I've found that depending on the scene, it is better to contrast style and blend tempo. Contrasting styles gives dancers a variety of stuff to dance to. Blending tempos (keeping it in a certain range) creates pace that the scene is used to. Of course, this philosophy would be suicide in certain scenes.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:17 pm

When DJing a typical dance, I contrast different styles of music while progessively blending tempos... until I get to a peak which requires a drop in tempo that's anyting but a blend.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

falty411

#8 Post by falty411 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:19 pm

GuruReuben wrote:When DJing a typical dance, I contrast different styles of music while progessively blending tempos... until I get to a peak which requires a drop in tempo that's anyting but a blend.
kind of like building to a climax and then pulling out?
-mikey faltesek

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:21 pm

falty411 wrote:kind of like building to a climax and then pulling out?
Kinda, but I like to make sure they cum first before I present the cuddle music.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

yedancer

#10 Post by yedancer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:23 pm

I like to contrast, but not song by song. In other words, I try to add different styles within my set, but not back to back; I try to bridge different styles of music.

Say I'm playing "Rock House" by Ray Charles. I might next play an older version of "Splanky" by Count Basie, and then Blanton-Webster Duke Ellington to prepare people for Chick Webb or Jimmie Lunceford or Sidney Bechet.

I just think it's too jarring to go from hi-fi stuff straight to old school lo-fi, especially in a scene where people will tolerate lo-fi stuff, but do not love it. Playing a lo-fi song right after a high quality recording just emphasizes the "poor" quality of the lo-fi recording. I try to trick people into not noticing the difference.
-Jeremy

It's easy to sit there and say you'd like to have more money. And I guess that's what I like about it. It's easy. Just sitting there, rocking back and forth, wanting that money.

Lawrence

#11 Post by Lawrence » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:49 pm

GuruReuben wrote:
falty411 wrote:kind of like building to a climax and then pulling out?
Kinda, but I like to make sure they cum first before I present the cuddle music.
There's nothing quite so cute as swing dorks telling jokes for the sole purpose of graphically implying that they have had sex at least once in their lives.... :roll: :lol:
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

Mr Awesomer

#12 Post by Mr Awesomer » Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:54 pm

...said the Austin dancer.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

Roy

#13 Post by Roy » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:50 pm

I tend to either blend style and change tempo or blend tempo and change style.

Nate Dogg

#14 Post by Nate Dogg » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:12 pm

In general I like to blend.

However, there are times when I feel the need to contrast, especially if the mood needs changing. But, I don't favor that a set that changes radically every song.

I can think of one set from another DJ that was up and down for two hours straight. It got to be a little annoying. Not much in the middle. Fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song, fast song, slow song. I wondered what his issue was that night. It was predictable, but still odd.

coreyj5

#15 Post by coreyj5 » Thu Aug 07, 2003 2:23 pm

I personally like the contrast. I like it when things change around a little. Not every song, but enough that it doesn't seem so stagnant in the feel of the night. I like to dance to djs like that and I like to dj it that way as well. I like not knowing what style or tempo is coming next. But I try to avoid drastic jumps in tempos. I wouldn't go from 140 to 300 or anything.