www.swingdjs.com

www.swingdjs.com
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: LiveTweeting sets
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:41 am 

I've been experimenting with livetweeting my sets on Twitter. It's been a bit of a pain finding internet access (I don't have a fancy phone), but tonight I managed to sort it out with a friend's phone.
I have a little script that sends a tweet from itunes, and I've tailored it to list: song title (year) artist.

I had a bash tonight in a smallish set (about an hour) for a beginnerish crowd. It was fun, but I found I was spending too much time looking at twitter and commenting on what I was doing. It also made me a bit self conscious about my set - I was second guessing myself and thinking 'oh, is this song cool enough?' I suddenly felt too shy to play CJam Blues. Which I probably should. But it was just _right_ for a crowd who didn't really know _any_ swing songs, let alone overplayed stuff.

It also meant I was tweeting more than every three minutes (49 in total) for an hour - not fun for my followers.

I'm not really sure what all this achieves, but it was an interesting experiment. The next task is to stream the set, I guess. But I think I'd like to read other people's DJing tweets in real time. Especially as my evening DJing time is the US's going-to-work time.

...perhaps the strangest part of what was a fairly unusual gig was having to fend off a large, stripey tom cat who kept trying to jump onto my lap and eventually jumped onto my keyboard while I was DJing (in a large hall with a crowd of people). That's just unusual.

Post subject: Re: LiveTweeting sets
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:42 am 

dogpossum wrote:
the strangest part ... was having to fend off a large, stripey tom cat who kept trying to jump onto my lap and eventually jumped onto my keyboard while I was DJing

Was it a hepcat? Or were you playing 'All The Cats Join In'? :wink:. Not sure about the tweeting while DJing thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:31 am 

i think we need a link. what's your twitter id? can we read this thing without having an account and "following" you?

i suddenly feel very old and out-of-it. scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:31 pm 

I'm not sure it's a terribly useful exercise, but it was interesting. I always find that trying these things sparks other ideas and (more useful) applications. Twitter is a neat tool; now I just have to find the perfect use for it.

I'm dogpossum on twitter, btw. A search will find me. I think you have to sign up first, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:02 pm 

Just wondering if anyone else here is on Twitter. I've found it can lead to interesting swing discussions/discoveries/connections.

You can follow me under the pretentious username "theswingdj" :oops: (hey, the URL was available!) :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:56 pm 

I am djrussellturner

I found it interesting to follow some of the people at ULHS. I have put out much myself yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:27 am 

dj_straycat. Predictably (and sadly) enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:33 am 

@keithshapiro

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:22 am 

@chrisbe_ :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 9:02 am 

I run nocstories, but it's for a storytelling group.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]