CD shopping in Amsterdam

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

djstarr

CD shopping in Amsterdam

#1 Post by djstarr » Thu Jun 26, 2003 4:17 pm

I'm going to be over in the Netherlands for work the week of July 7th. I'll be in the south, but may have a chance to spend a little bit of time in Amsterdam. Anyone have tips on cool record shops over there? Or can I just waltz into a store in Eindhoven [moderate sized industrial city in the Netherlands] and buy some cool imports?

any tips would be appreciated!

kbuxton

#2 Post by kbuxton » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:53 pm

I actually spent a bunch in a really cool jazz store in Amsterdam. I believe it was called Blue Note. A pain to find, but not too far from the red light district. (It was listed in the local shopping info sheet I picked up but I can't seem to find info about it online).

kbuxton

#3 Post by kbuxton » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:00 pm

Hmmm. After doing some looking, I found this place called jazz: http://www.hiptravelguide.com/amsterdam ... ws-61.html

Looks like about the same place so perhaps they've changed their name. Even if it's not, it looks cool :)

djstarr

#4 Post by djstarr » Thu Jul 03, 2003 6:06 pm

kbuxton wrote:Hmmm. After doing some looking, I found this place called jazz: http://www.hiptravelguide.com/amsterdam ... ws-61.html

Looks like about the same place so perhaps they've changed their name. Even if it's not, it looks cool :)
Thanks for the tip Kristin - I'll let you know what I find. See you at VLE?

djstarr

#5 Post by djstarr » Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:52 pm

Kristin - made it to the Jazz store you recommended - it's behind the Niewe Kirk (New Church) near Dam Square (about 5 minutes from the central train station).

No used CDs, and most stuff you can get in the States, but it was fun buying some CDs there - makes it more exotic with the Euro sticker on it. I also got there about 15 min. before they closed so didn't have too much time to browse around. It's a very nicely laid out store though - worth going to if you are in Amsterdam.

The store owner gave me a tip on a used CD store - "Concerto" off the Rembrandt square - I will have to check it out on the next trip over.

V-Rocket

#6 Post by V-Rocket » Sat Sep 27, 2003 4:00 pm

Dear Dj Starr,

If you're going the next time contact me, i'm living in Amsterdam so....
By the way the best recordstore is in Rotterdam i think personally

Pete.

djstarr

#7 Post by djstarr » Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:56 pm

V-Rocket wrote:Dear Dj Starr,

If you're going the next time contact me, i'm living in Amsterdam so....
By the way the best recordstore is in Rotterdam i think personally

Pete.
Will do - it probably won't be until next year since our travel budget is dried up for the rest of the year. Maybe we can go on a CD buying trip to Rotterdam.

I did make it to Concerto this time; the address is Utrechtsestraat 52-60 (10 blocks or so from Rembrandtplein). Tel 020 - 623 52 28

I liked it better than the store "Jazz" - it's a large store with a big selection of all kinds of music; and was quite crowded on Saturday afternoon. It also looked like you could listen to any CD you wanted before you bought it.

lipi

#8 Post by lipi » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:56 pm

yes, reading archives again. for those who may visit holland:

i love "concerto".

i'm also a big fan of "de plaatboef" in utrecht (on the oude gracht -- it's across the canal and a few blocks down from "blunder" (the comics store) and "de jazz winkel", which is overpriced and inexplicably always staffed by at least three young men eating a large meal in the back of the store). plaatboef is second-hand, not too much jazz, but what they have is dirt cheap.

brenda, did you ever get the rotterdam cd store name from pete? (he hasn't logged in since he posted to this thread, it looks like...)

djstarr

#9 Post by djstarr » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:21 am

lipi wrote:brenda, did you ever get the rotterdam cd store name from pete? (he hasn't logged in since he posted to this thread, it looks like...)
No, I haven't been back to Europe since the last trip; hoping to work out a trip so I can piggy back a week in Herrang at the end of it, but it will take some sweet talking on my part I think!

So I didn't contact Pete; you might want to try the email link --- pm'ing him probably won't work, since the upgrade I don't get emails when someone pm's me on the site (although I haven't bothered trying to fix it).