Doing it by year

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Haydn

Doing it by year

#1 Post by Haydn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:48 am

I was wondering if any of you arrange sets by year - do you, for example, do a '1935' set, or take account of the recording year in some other significant way?

(When ever I think about this sort of thing, I remember "The Golden Hour" from Simon Bates' morning programme on BBC Radio 1. The hour featured records and news items from a particular year, and you had to guess 'But what WAS the year?')

CafeSavoy

Re: Doing it by year

#2 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:43 am

Haydn wrote:I was wondering if any of you arrange sets by year - do you, for example, do a '1935' set, or take account of the recording year in some other significant way?

(When ever I think about this sort of thing, I remember "The Golden Hour" from Simon Bates' morning programme on BBC Radio 1. The hour featured records and news items from a particular year, and you had to guess 'But what WAS the year?')
Haven't done a set by the year. But I do try to list the recording dates in file names.

fredo

#3 Post by fredo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:15 am

don't ya love when that the CDDB has the CD release date instead of the recording dates :roll:

Mr Awesomer

#4 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:20 am

Peter and I once did a "battle" where we each did a song from a year then worked our way up. I think we started in 1928 and made it to the mid 40's.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

fredo

#5 Post by fredo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:45 am

I tossed around the idea of doing a yehoodi radio show where I'd play one swing/jazz song from each year, starting in the late twenties and ending 2008, so 80 songs.

I passed on this idea after thinking about the 80s. haha

CafeSavoy

#6 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:50 am

Mr Awesomer wrote:Peter and I once did a "battle" where we each did a song from a year then worked our way up. I think we started in 1928 and made it to the mid 40's.
Cool idea for a battle. I have a playlist that pulls by decade. Sometimes i'll listen to itunes by decade.

Mr Awesomer

#7 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:37 am

CafeSavoy wrote:Cool idea for a battle. I have a playlist that pulls by decade. Sometimes i'll listen to itunes by decade.
haha, that's how I have my genre's set up in itunes so I can do exactly that. Every Jazz tune I have from a particular decade goes in a bucket: 20's Jazz, 30's Jazz, 40's Jazz and so on. When I'm in the mood for some 60's Jazz, I just select it as a genre and hit shuffle.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

CafeSavoy

#8 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:58 am

fredo wrote:I tossed around the idea of doing a yehoodi radio show where I'd play one swing/jazz song from each year, starting in the late twenties and ending 2008, so 80 songs.

Falty could lend you his Wolverines Big Band cd, I think it was recorded in the 80's.

Mr Awesomer

#9 Post by Mr Awesomer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:15 am

CafeSavoy wrote:
fredo wrote:I tossed around the idea of doing a yehoodi radio show where I'd play one swing/jazz song from each year, starting in the late twenties and ending 2008, so 80 songs.

Falty could lend you his Wolverines Big Band cd, I think it was recorded in the 80's.
The Cotton Club soundtrack... featuring Bob Wilber's band.... quite good.
Reuben Brown
Southern California

fredo

#10 Post by fredo » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:08 pm

ok ok, I guess I could look at this idea again. :wink:

Wolverine Band and Bob Wilber are good suggestions. I have a little of both, so I guess I need to update my recording dates in my library.

and by update I mean adding in the recording dates for 80% of my files that don't have the recording dates in the tags currently. :cry:

CafeSavoy

#11 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Mr Awesomer wrote: The Cotton Club soundtrack... featuring Bob Wilber's band.... quite good.
Nice. I'll have to take a look at that. Looking at the credits, I see that a bunch of the artists also recorded alot for the Nagel Heyer label.

Haydn

#12 Post by Haydn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:38 pm

fredo wrote:ok ok, I guess I could look at this idea again. :wink:

Wolverine Band and Bob Wilber are good suggestions. I have a little of both, so I guess I need to update my recording dates in my library.

and by update I mean adding in the recording dates for 80% of my files that don't have the recording dates in the tags currently. :cry:
It's weird how some CDs show the year in iTunes, and others show nothing. The majority show nothing, so it's a case of manually entering the year. I do find it pretty rewarding - once you've done it, you can compare songs from different years and showing how the music changes year by year.

CafeSavoy

#13 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:52 pm

Haydn wrote:
fredo wrote:ok ok, I guess I could look at this idea again. :wink:

It's weird how some CDs show the year in iTunes, and others show nothing. The majority show nothing, so it's a case of manually entering the year. I do find it pretty rewarding - once you've done it, you can compare songs from different years and showing how the music changes year by year.
You have to be careful with the year data. Oftentimes, they are the year the album was released and not the recording year.

Haydn

#14 Post by Haydn » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:24 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:You have to be careful with the year data. Oftentimes, they are the year the album was released and not the recording year.
Yes, I know 8)

Eyeball

It's been done - world's nicest Swing DJ

#15 Post by Eyeball » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:03 pm