Why do you need a DJ name (and how do you find a good one)?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

Eyeball

#16 Post by Eyeball » Sun May 06, 2007 11:21 am

Most people's real names are blase and forgettable with no touch of snap or falsh to them.

When you are on display like that, you are kind of in show business...and you need a show biz name.
Will big bands ever come back?

JesseMiner

#17 Post by JesseMiner » Sun May 06, 2007 12:26 pm

I think you're going about it the wrong way. Play great music and continue to impress and inspire your crowd of dancers, and they will remember you, and a name WILL follow. I guarantee that!

I would bet that most notable DJ names came naturally like any good nickname. Personally I've always stuck with my own name, and that has worked really well for me.

To answer your basic question: a name helps people remember who you are and recognize your name when they see it listed for an event. That's good if they like what you do. If you suck, it's not such a good thing. ;)

Jesse

GemZombie

#18 Post by GemZombie » Tue May 08, 2007 7:56 am

Haydn wrote:No one has explained why you should or should not have a DJ name.
They did, actually.

The answer is simple: it comes off as *very* arrogant and self-important. Even if a name is given to you when you didn't seek it. That's not a hard rule, of course, but enough of one that I'm comfortable with saying it.

Dude, we're just music geeks who like to play music for dancers, sometimes I think we take ourselves a bit too seriously.

Lawrence

#19 Post by Lawrence » Tue May 08, 2007 11:18 am

GemZombie wrote:
Dude, we're just music geeks who like to play music for dancers; sometimes I think we [definitely] take ourselves [way] too seriously.

With those minor edits, I have never agreed more adamantly with anything on this Board... ever. 8)
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CafeSavoy

#20 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue May 08, 2007 11:26 am

You guys are just jealous you don't have a cool dj name.

Ryan

#21 Post by Ryan » Tue May 08, 2007 12:20 pm

Alrighty then Rayne.... I mean DJ Chocolate Sauce.

Lawrence

#22 Post by Lawrence » Tue May 08, 2007 1:52 pm

CafeSavoy wrote:You guys are just jealous you don't have a cool dj name.
Oh, I have one!! 8) For my Yehoodi radio spot, I was "Lawrence (please don't call me DJ) Page."
Lawrence Page
Austin Lindy Hop
http://www.AustinLindy.com

CafeSavoy

#23 Post by CafeSavoy » Tue May 08, 2007 2:04 pm

Ryan wrote:Alrighty then Rayne.... I mean DJ Chocolate Sauce.
Buzz. Wrong name.

Haydn

#24 Post by Haydn » Tue May 08, 2007 6:09 pm

JesseMiner wrote:I think you're going about it the wrong way. Play great music and continue to impress and inspire your crowd of dancers, and they will remember you, and a name WILL follow. I guarantee that!

I would bet that most notable DJ names came naturally like any good nickname. Personally I've always stuck with my own name, and that has worked really well for me.

To answer your basic question: a name helps people remember who you are and recognize your name when they see it listed for an event. That's good if they like what you do. If you suck, it's not such a good thing. ;)

Jesse
Thanks Jesse :wink:

trev

#25 Post by trev » Tue May 08, 2007 6:39 pm

Lawrence wrote: sometimes I think we [definitely] take ourselves [way] too seriously.
Sometimes definitely? :P :P

Eyeball

#26 Post by Eyeball » Tue May 08, 2007 10:24 pm

Are some Swing DJs dull?

Aside from the fact that some of the music they may be playing sux, they may not also realize they are in the public eye and they owe them a 'show' of some sort beyond the music they spin.

fredo

#27 Post by fredo » Tue May 08, 2007 11:30 pm

Eyeball wrote:Are some Swing DJs dull?

Aside from the fact that some of the music they may be playing sux, they may not also realize they are in the public eye and they owe them a 'show' of some sort beyond the music they spin.
great point. That's why I karaoke during the birthday jam whenever I dj. I do a great Sinatra. 8)

Eyeball

#28 Post by Eyeball » Tue May 08, 2007 11:49 pm

Extremes should be avoided. Haha.

Greg Avakian

#29 Post by Greg Avakian » Sun May 27, 2007 8:58 pm

I was given my nickname and man did it ever stick. When I traveled, no one even knew my real name -which is why I started insisting that my name is Greg.
Hey, my e-mail's changed, here's the new one:
SwingDJ@gmail.com
About me: www.geocities.com/swingboypa

djstarr

#30 Post by djstarr » Tue May 29, 2007 2:46 pm

hmmmmmmmm. My real last name [Aldridge] is boring. My namesake is Brenda Starr, a comic strip heroine who was very popular the year I was born.

When I started DJ'ing I figured why not go with the alter-ego. It's something I did for myself, not for marketing or show business. And I get a kick seeing who actually remembers Brenda Starr, it's definitely an age teller.

You obviously don't need a DJ name to swing DJ. If you want to use one, who cares? It's more of a fashion statement to me, it's not about being arrogant or self-important.

As for picking a good one, it should probably relate to you somehow. So Haydn how about "DJ Sonata"? ha ha.