Everyone wants to be a DJ

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

texas-eddie

#16 Post by texas-eddie » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:22 pm

really? since when? (on both counts.)

not being facetious, either. genuinely curious.
She hasn't done it in awhile, I think she's done a total of two times last year, but that's usually what she does (if she doesn't know the person).

If you want to DJ you usually have to ask her a couple of times before she gets back to you.

russell

#17 Post by russell » Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:48 pm

My perspective from being both a DJ and organiser.
I come from a small scene but also have a lot of interest in people DJing. My approach is to encourage that by running DJ training sessions. We have a low key fortnightly social dance where new DJs can get experience. For larger events I stick with our experienced DJs as I feel there is a responsibility towards the dancers that turn up to provide good music. I think organisers should be discerning about who they ask to DJ and not just take everyone who volunteers.

Haydn

#18 Post by Haydn » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:26 pm

russell wrote:We have a low key fortnightly social dance where new DJs can get experience. For larger events I stick with our experienced DJs as I feel there is a responsibility towards the dancers that turn up to provide good music.
A question on that Russell. How would a new DJ get from your tryout night to a big event? (I am guessing they would have to prove themselves over a period.)

russell

#19 Post by russell » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:22 am

We have a once a month dance that would be the next level up and then our "bigger" events eg or exchange.