How much do you get paid?

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

How much do you get paid for DJing at an average swing dance event?

I do it for free, or for free entrance to the club
37%
I dj in trade for lessons or other services
3%
<$10/hr
5%
$10-$20/hr
16%
$20-$30/hr
16%
$30-$40/hr
5%
>$40/hr
8%
I dj as part of providing another service, so its hard to say
11%

Total votes: 38

Zot

#16 Post by Zot » Tue May 20, 2003 5:46 pm

The Aussie swing scene has not evolved to a point where DJs are recognised much at all. If you are DJing, it's because you really want to do it. DJing for a big event might pull you in a few dollars, but certainly not a regular salary.

There are, of course, plenty of professional DJs in Australia. It's just that none of them are DJing for swing dance events.

I certainly agree with Jesse's comments, and the general tone of this thread, which is (strangely enough) all for paying DJs.

So perhaps the question is HOW to make it pay, not WHETHER. Another thread, maybe.

Matthew

#17 Post by Matthew » Tue May 20, 2003 7:30 pm

How about having GT (Groove Terminator) DJ a swing event? I danced lindy with "Here Comes Another One," and it was a blast.

Shanabanana

#18 Post by Shanabanana » Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:07 pm

I run a swing venue, so I almost always get paid to DJ. If I'm a guest DJ at an event that is not for profit, I won't take money for it. But if it's a venue that is for profit, I appreciate something for my trouble, and I always pay guest DJs and instructors for their time at my venue.

It puzzles me why there is a stigma with taking money for DJing in some communities. You have a skill that contributes directly to the dancers' enjoyment of the evening. It costs you money to DJ, since you have to buy CDs to make it happen. What's the big deal?

That's not a rhetorical question. I'd really like to know.

Drew

#19 Post by Drew » Mon Jun 16, 2003 9:33 pm

Shanabanana wrote:It puzzles me why there is a stigma with taking money for DJing in some communities. You have a skill that contributes directly to the dancers' enjoyment of the evening. It costs you money to DJ, since you have to buy CDs to make it happen. What's the big deal?

That's not a rhetorical question. I'd really like to know.
I think that there is a real stigma for getting paid for anything in the Lindy Hop community a lot of the time. If it's anything more than a comp to an event, some people think you're asking for their firstborn. I've amassed quite a client list through doing graphics, advertising, and promotions for different dance events and organizations in the last five years, and rarely am I ever offered more than comps. No matter, most jobs are quick and easy and I don't mind doing them for some props and some comps. My current project, Showdown, is paying merchandising profits, which I've had before and it's been quite satisfactory...so buy a t-shirt and a decal.

My hunch is that much of Swing business is conducted under the pretenses of hobby and is conducted by weekend warriors and the realities of business are often negated. A lot of swing business is non-profit. A lot of ventures aren't run very well because of the weekend warrior mentality. But it takes a lot of work from some people to give others a hobby.

As Jesse mentioned, DJs are often viewed as fellow dancers with big music collections, IMO often because of many of the aforementioned reasons. But on a DJ'd night, the DJ is important person in the room, because without the music there is nothing left to dance to. A good DJ is a solid and necessary investment in a good event. A lot of organizers don't think deeply enough that their choice for DJ, band, venue, etc., is squarely a reflection upon themselves as organizers.

I think that if the crowd is paying a cover, then the DJ should be paid. How much depends on what the organizer is both willing and able to pay and what the DJ will agree to. Exchanges warrant at least a full comp to all the events if the DJ is spinning more than an hour or so.

Shanabanana

#20 Post by Shanabanana » Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:05 am

What I don't understand is that there's little stigma attached to getting paid to teach, assuming it's more than a 30 minute East Coast Swing intro class. Teachers are providing a service that a limited number of people can do, and get paid to do so.

Most DJs have worked for years compiling a music collection and have a skill at reading the room and keeping a crowd engaged. It takes money, skill and time. And like teachers, there are a limited number of people who can do it well.

Don't get me wrong, I've done more than my share of free events, and I really enjoy doing them. I just don't get why people feel like they need to apologize for getting paid. While it's not all about the money, I don't think I should feel guilty if I get paid to DJ, just like I don't feel guilty getting paid to teach.

Toon Town Dave

#21 Post by Toon Town Dave » Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:30 pm

I agree one shouldn't feel guilty about charging or taking money for Djing or teaching. On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there doing one, the other or both that insist on getting paid and don't (IMO) deserve what they ask.

For DJing, the local night club that used to host our weekly swing night paid their regular DJ to play music for us. The only swing he knew was in a playground. We ended up providing him mixes that he'd drop in and play. For going and changing our mix CDs two or three times an evening, he was IMO overpaid. Don't get me wrong, he was a good night club DJ (has since opened his own very successful club) but was not a swing music or swing dance DJ. Eventaully because of a contract dispute with the club ower he left and a couple of us ended up taking over DJing swing nights for free.

I think this kind of scenario has played out in a lot of scenes (particularly smaller ones). Once club owners get used to free, it's hard to convince them to start paying. Even harder when swing nights aren't exactly gushing cash.

Having said that, I think everyone's time is worth somthing. It might be as little as free admission or a couple of drinks for a set or it might be a significant monetary reward. I think it should depend on the value of the service. Certainly, I wouldn't expect a DJ in North Podunk to get paid a couple hundred $$ to spin an evening to a couple dozen people. On the other hand a DJ that keeps a large venue packed resulting in good revenue is probably easily worth it.