Getting the most out of iTunes

Tips and techniques of the trade

Moderators: Mr Awesomer, JesseMiner, CafeSavoy

lipi

#31 Post by lipi » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:23 am

re: brian's re-import loses bpm problem: i think that's an itunes bug. i've been too lazy to file it with apple, though, so i don't know what the official word on it is.

i think if you re-import as mp3, you'll keep the bpm. if you re-import as alac, you'll lose it. wacky.

coldnight

BPM tags

#32 Post by coldnight » Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 pm

Hello everyone, I have heard whispers I may be gifted with an iPod, so I was looking into iTunes and saw the BPM tag. Almost all of my swing music is commented in the title tag for bpm, and also in the ID3tag "comment".

I have tried editing the BPM tags in iTunes, but it always discards the beginning 0 on tracks with <100 bpm. I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or a work around? I'm using iTunes 7, downloaded 12/19/05.

Also, it would seem that there are 2 or 3 comment fields? Not all my mp3 tracks with comments (also BPM numbers w/commentary) are populated in iTunes - and editing the comment field in iTunes doesn't seem to edit the id3 tags - is this stored in the itunes library?

trev

#33 Post by trev » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:31 pm

I think you mean iTunes 6. They went from version 4 to 6 in a hurry, but I'm sure there will be at least a few weeks more before verison 7 arrives! :P

With iTunes, some track information is stored within the MP3 file's ID3 tag, and Non-ID3 tag data about an MP3 track is stored by iTunes itself and therefore doesn't travel with the MP3 file. The extra info (Ratings, Play Count, Play Date, BPM) is in an XML file called "iTunes Music Library.xml" So that may explain part of the problem.

It could also be that the version of ID3 tags your MP3s are using are older than the ones iTunes uses (v2.*) (there are 5 different versions of ID3 tags) Have you tried using iTunes to convert the ID3 info? Look under Advanced>Convert ID3 tags

coldnight

#34 Post by coldnight » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:27 am

trev wrote:I think you mean iTunes 6. They went from version 4 to 6 in a hurry, but I'm sure there will be at least a few weeks more before verison 7 arrives! :P

With iTunes, some track information is stored within the MP3 file's ID3 tag, and Non-ID3 tag data about an MP3 track is stored by iTunes itself and therefore doesn't travel with the MP3 file. The extra info (Ratings, Play Count, Play Date, BPM) is in an XML file called "iTunes Music Library.xml" So that may explain part of the problem.

It could also be that the version of ID3 tags your MP3s are using are older than the ones iTunes uses (v2.*) (there are 5 different versions of ID3 tags) Have you tried using iTunes to convert the ID3 info? Look under Advanced>Convert ID3 tags
Ah yes, iTunes V6 - it wasn't starting its window when I was posting, I needed to restart or I would have checked more closely.

I wasn't sure I wanted to convert the tags - I use winamp for DJ'ing and may just use the itunes plugin for putting content on the ipod though the playlist drag-and-drop is very nice.

At the moment, the only thing I wish winamp did (like iTunes) is the volume presets (per track) and the source selectable playlist party shuffle.

I may just have to manually "turn up" some of my music, not sure why they are so quiet.

Mr Awesomer

#35 Post by Mr Awesomer » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:30 am

I hear iTunes makes a mean cup of coffee.
Reuben Brown
Southern California